No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this Burmese?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
is this Burmese?
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:42:05 AM »
I was watching this on ebay (and bid but it got too high) and was wondering if it's Burmese glass and if anyone's seen anything similar? I saw a number of pieces of Burmese glass through google (inc Fenton, Mt Washington, Thomas Webb) but couldn't see this shape.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260743900849&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

thanks
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: is this Burmese?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
I'll be very interested in what is said as I was given orders(from the boss) to get this because she loves pink shaded glass ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:42:09 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me; but the price says that either the experts know it's not or they don't know either. The threading is Webb-ish, the ribbing is Webb-ish; so I'd go with probably Webb and probably Burmese.

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
Oh so Keith you're the one who was bidding against me?  :P
Julie

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 03:06:49 PM »
I know that pics. on the screen can be misleading  -  but have just looked thru the Grover, Gulliver and Skelcher volumes at 'Burmese' - and have to say that examples shown in the illustrations in these books are a completely different shade of  'pink' when compared to this piece.    Pieces in the books (Webb and Mt. Washington) show the non pink parts as being cream rather than white.   Do we think that the seller should have shown a picture of the 'glow'  -  and what is with this 'Lalique' name?     Just to clarify, I don't possess a single piece of Burmese, so could be talking out of the back of my hat - so interesting to see the end result -  were you the winner Keith?? :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 04:06:09 PM »
The pink varies quite a lot on Burmese and that photo is outside in shade. The only way to know for sure is with a UV light. I suspect the seller picked a random name out of the glass hat, as the other pieces they're sold have been randomly categorised as Scandinavia/Murano!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 04:27:51 PM »
Sorry Julie :-[,yes it was me,what the 'Lalique' thing was I have no idea,I'll post pic's when it arrives and will compare it with my only piece of Burmese,

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
Its not Mt. Washington & there is a good deal of white which in my experience pushes it in the questionable Burmese category...as in Murano Burmese...hope it reacts as that solves alot of issues. Ken 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »
we must remember, of course, that this piece was not being sold as 'Burmese' - so if it turns out to be simply a pink and white piece of glass, then the seller has not misled anyone with a wrong attribution in that direction.   However, word association suggestions of 'art deco' and Lalique, are very questionable.   Point is that if Keith's other half likes it then who are we to comment, and we feel sure she will enjoy her piece of pink and white glass bowl ;D

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:08:10 PM »
....and I'll be in her good books which means I get to spend more on what I like! ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand