No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Little blue jug - help please  (Read 552 times)

Offline noobie

• Members
Little blue jug - help please
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:29:05 PM »
I'd be grateful for any information about this cute little jug, which is just over 3in high.
I don't know anything about glass - am I right in saying it's overlaid with blue and then cut through to clear?
Is it 19th century? Of any value?
Thanks

MOD: Image resized to something more user-friendly.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Little blue jug - help please
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:53:48 PM »
sorry to say robert, but I think the answers to your questions are...........no, no, and no again.   From what I can see the pattern appears to have produced from a mould i.e. this is pressed glass.    Judging by the paleness and lack of uniform depth of colour of the blue, I suspect this 'overlay' is an enamelled paint of some description - and date wise I might suggest perhpas mid C20.       No doubt someone will tell me I'm wrong, but I really can't see anyone producing a milk jug in the tru Bohemian overlay style (re your reference of 'cut through to clear').    Try to buy one or two books (as a suggestion try charity books shops) with the empahsis on a broad range of glass, and with plenty of pictures  -  you can never have enought pictures.   Am sure you can also buy some very good glass book on ebay  -  Miller's Guides for example  -  you will be an expert in no time. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline noobie

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:29:47 PM »
Thanks very much for your helpful reply Paul. I've been checking up and read that pressed glass often has a seam. Well my jug has a seam at the handle, so I think you're right on all counts! I still think it's cute though!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:16:04 AM »
Hi, welcome to the Board.

For general queries, when an item is not known to be definitely of a particular country, please post the thread in the general Glass forum. When information about origin becomes known, a moderator will move the thread to the relevant place.

Also, please try to provide pictures that are no larger than 700 to 800 pixels on the largest side. Some help on posting pictures can be found at:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.msg55557.html#msg55557

KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand