No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: GLASS REPAIR! PLEEEEEZE.  (Read 1106 times)

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
GLASS REPAIR! PLEEEEEZE.
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »
Can ANYBODY within the UK, recommend a good glass restorer? I need a small (say 1/4 inch flake/chip polished-out from the lip-edge of an opalescent bowl, without compromising its mouldings. And ideas about costs would be helpful as I do not want to be stung or devalue the glass even more, by over an  zealous double glazer! I have seen many a DIY product, but have not the time nor the patience. Ta for any info....  

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: GLASS REPAIR! PLEEEEEZE.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:04:37 PM »
Where are you? I only know of one locally.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »
I don't know where you are, but Basil (Loveredge - sp???) in London is absolutely excellent. I've been told he's getting pricey, but if you want a good job done on a good piece, I think he's worth it.
(I've got the hassle of getting things to him from here in Dundee - and an even harder job getting things back - I have to do it via family members who don't always want to part with my glass once they've got their mitts on it!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:37:38 PM »
Thank you so far, for your quick response. I am bassed in Surrey, 20 mins from London and as I also drive, I'd say within a 25 mile radius would do me fine to visit any recommended restorer. Chopin-Liszt:  You say "PRICEY" but how much would you mean? What was you charged for your own repair and how severe was the damage? I know its a case of how long is a piece of string, but?  I'd welcome more details of your contact so that I can email them perhaps. Thanks again and should there be of you near me here, then that would even be better.

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 06:42:42 PM »
CHOPIN-LISZT:  Hi again. Have just searched his site on Google, and it comes up that he is based in Norhamptonshire, not London? Am I confused or has he now moved to nearer to you? If so, then at last you can now be unafraid of losing your glass to family (smile)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »
Dundee is half-way up the east coast of Scotland - Northhampton/London - all a good 500 miles away!

I've had minor bits of damage polished out (the edges of a burst bubble smoothed and a huge ugly lump of frit which stood proud of a piece polished off) I think each repair was about £8. That was a good while ago.
I (hope :huh: :huh: :huh:) he currently has my Rock-crystal cut Decanter to restore - a little water damage to remove from the inside, a tiny (1.5mm) bruise on the shoulder to sort out, two fleabite chips on an edge and a tiny one on the tip of the stopper to sort.
I'm expecting a big bill, possibly into 3 figures.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:13:55 PM »
Geography was never my strongest point... And there was I thinking that Dundee, was Newcastle area!  :huh: ::) :huh:

EIGHT QUID! Blimey, Has he gone decimal yet? I've had quotes as much as £70 down this way which I am sure based upon the bowl being nice and them knowing that it's worth something... Londoner's are known to rob us all blind if they can! For £8 i'd run it to Basil myself, or perhaps mail it to him etc. I'll get back on his site and drop him some details. Will let you know how things go and perhaps give the board some before & after pics for future reference. For we all of us have accidents...  :mus: Ta, you're a star.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 07:23:37 PM »
I did say I've been told his prices have risen dramatically.  :wsh:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 07:29:15 PM »
HEY, I wont hold it against you. Nothing ventured-nothing gained. He can name his prices and then it's for me to consider and as you say, a good job is money well spent. Am outta here for now, but will get back to all, soon as.... Have a good evenin' and well done YOU!  :hiclp:

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 07:40:07 PM »
CHOPIN-LISZT:  Don't suppose you have Basil Loveridege's eMail address? Searched everywhere on google, to no avail. It would sure help me if you have.  :P :

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand