No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Dilly Duck??  (Read 4060 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Whitefriars Dilly Duck??
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »
OK folks....I have had a long and interesting 'chat' with the seller...during this 'chat', he changed the category by adding  dates  to the category listing.  He has kept it as Whitefriars as he says he bought it with some Whitefriars Dilly Ducks.  I am happy to share the full transcript of our conversation, if anyone wants me to, or I can add it here, but would need Moderators blessing......
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 07:02:29 PM »
If its got a polished Pontil its got to be Whitefriars.
I think you just waste your time and effort with these types on ebay. They just don't give a damn. >:D
I am surprised that the Neg Feedback isn't more than it is.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 07:40:20 PM »
Its a real shame as the seller has some really nice bits mixed in there with the "not so well listed".
 It wont do them any favours miss selling items (in the a name always makes more profit game) because people that know the items are wrongly attributed wont buy anything else (even items that are correctly listed). so in the long run the seller will lose buisness.
michelle

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »
just as a matter of personal interest, what is the origin of the expression 'dilly duck'.   Whilst I know less that nothing about most W/Fs. material, I assume from the relationship between Whitefriars ducks and this name, that it is only a W/Fs. piece that can be called a 'dilly duck'.    Unimportant really, I suppose, just that if a seller uses this expression then I assume that they are stating that their piece is W/Fs. beyond doubt  -  which in this instance, as most of you have said, is erroneous. :)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 08:31:20 PM »
Dilly duck, seems to have been coined by the collectors of Whitefriars ducks and is often used on the Whitefriars forum.  I have no idea if other collectors of ducks (not Whitefriars) also use the term.  All I will say is that there have been several threads on ducks on the Whitefriars forum over the last few months using the "dilly duck" expression.  The seller g4glass or whatever he is called is actually a member of that forum.  He does not contribute, just seems to watch.  Hence the various "terms" he uses on his listings, the way he describes the colours etc.  He has a lot of genuine Whitefriars on sale, usually VERY overpriced, but these items are usually in the background of the photos of non Whitefriars glass..hence giving a novice collector the feeling that they are safe in believing that an "amethyst" or meadow green" vase is    indeed Whitefriars when it is not.  All seems despicable to me.  All seems like a scam.  Ebay don't care of course, they are getting his fees which must be considerable as he regularly lists 100 or more pieces at a time. He buys( for example) a Riihimaki vase, properly attributed and re-lists it as Whitefriars at twice the price I could go on, and on and on............I think you get the picture.  All this is fact, not a figment of my imagination, there's been many a thread on the W/F about this person and his listings.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 08:52:58 PM »
Emmi  -  my sincere thanks for such a full and interesting reply  -  quite the most informative and readable post on this thread, but then, as we all know you are indeed very knowedgeable. :).............just a bit long tho, cud you not be a little more concise to the point - like me >:D......only joking, as I very much hope you know. :kissy:

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 09:45:39 PM »
LOL!  Just giving you a taste of your own medicine for once!! I could add more to it if you really want me to! :24:

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 11:12:24 PM »
Dilly and Daffy duck come to mind , were they comic characters ?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 11:36:42 PM »
Rosie, you would need the seller's blessing to be able to share his correspondence with you, rather than ours. Private correspondence shouldn't be posted publicly unless you ask the sender first and receive their permission to do so.  :thup:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 11:45:37 PM »
I did wonder.....so if anyone wants to know, they can email me privately....is that OK?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand