No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge sommerso vase, 4.5kg, 50cm tall, cranberry, blue & clear Murano or far east  (Read 1713 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Hi all
just picked this up, and im gonna hedge my bets on it being Chinese. But on saying that I do think that it may be Murano, the nagging doubt being the lack of wear, the size and the price i just paid i think.
It weighs in at just short of 4.5kg is 50cm tall (yes that is a full sized can of coke its dwarfing)
The base is flat and well polished the glass is of a fairly good standard.
very little age wear on the base, which would be expected on a size this piece any movement would likely cause a great deal of marks, but then on the other hand maybe because of its weight it has never been moved?, but there is good ground in dirt in the crevisis (This was bought from a charity shop so highly unlikly they have tried to age it with the dirt)

The casing looks almost like triple cased as its cranberry, pale blue then a slightly darker blue then clear cased what does everyone think?

many thanks
michelle

[Mod: Original Picasaweb image moved - see Reply 7 for new location]

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I would say not Chinese (looks too balanced and well proportioned) but I wouldn't like to say where it's from.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
thanks Christine, i keep coming back to Murano as the colouring and quality is right, ive had a few pieces in this colourway that have definatly been Murano pieces. I wouldnt be able to put a factory on it though.
Like i said the doubts are not based on a great deal, but some times you just dont trust your instincts. Either way it was a good price for a very attractive piece
michelle

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Just spotted this vase on ebay, item number 360353622496 [Link]

Looks like it could be a distant cousin maybe?  And has a Murano label (apparently).

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Looks most likely the same maker, thanks Wayne. The label may hold some clues as to a factory or maker on the vase. The seller has re-listed I will email and ask for a close up picture of the label
thanks again
michelle

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
One of my reservations regarding Murano labels on glass nowadays is the arrests the Italian government made regarding the use of Murano labels on Chinese glass.  If memory serves me correctly the pieces of glass involved numbered in the millions of pieces.

As a result of not having any info, at least that I am aware of, regarding the label styles and glass styles that were used, I place substantially less importance on the presence of a label, and feel that in light of this, we need to look even more intently at the glass and substantially less at the label.... Unless of course we know the label to be vintage labels.......

Just some thoughts......

I do not have many thoughts as to the glass itself, other than the pics of it do not strike me as Italian shades of the colors, but that can just be the pics...... The colors strike me more as Czech..... It does appear well executed.......

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
It looks very much like the some of the pieces that Jordan's Importing sold, a little thinner perhaps, but the same scalloped top and the same fins on the bottom. Murano would be a strong possibility for me.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Michelle, your tankard: https://picasaweb.google.com/112538457954992188877/CurrentlyUnknown?authuser=0&feat=directlink#5572070741603801938
looks like an Erik Hoglund design, is it signed H927 or Boda H927/???.

Here's mine, signed H927/70, also has sticker on base: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/ErikHoglund#5545029115366318210

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand