No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Just curiosity on my part - for discussion two old 'spatter glass' pieces  (Read 1747 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I bought these two pieces a while ago because I realised that there was a spate of them on our favourite auction site and I also saw a number at a fair.  I don't particularly like them really, but I was curious because they suddenly seemed to appear in quantity from nowhere, or I'd never ever noticed them before perhaps  :-\
So I bought these two pieces, both of which are damaged so I could have a closer look.  Please ignore the titles of the pictures - they are just mine so I know where to find them quickly, not that they have been positively id'd as such.
So my questions are where were they made, English or Bohemian or elsewhere?
Is the little bowl machine threaded or blown into a ridged mould?
The pontil mark on the pink box is badly finished, cracked off and a sort of matt bit left rough.  It's very heavy, good white interior, pink and green splashes and then cased in clear with those feet in clear. 
I do prefer the decor on the pink box, but  have to confess am not a huge fan of the bowl at all.
Are they old or repros?  Why have so many suddenly appeared to be around or is it just me  ::)
thoughts and views very welcome  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Definitely old. The powder bowl has very Harrach feet and is probably Bohemian. I don't think the other is threaded but it's difficult to tell without handling it. Do the vertical ribs tail off at the bottom? If it is threaded, I think it's more likely to be English. I think sometimes things "appear" after you actually take notice of them.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
If it's not threaded and has just horizontal ribbing it may be Kralik,this tumbler is similar..

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ah right, thank you   :) ref the bowl, no it  doesn't trail off Christine, I guess therefore it's blown into a mould which is horizontally and vertically ribbed then.   What is left of the rim is cut and polished,  nicely bevelled and it's a floral shape at the top, 12 curves, 12 ribs.  It has a neat little unribbed foot and if it weren't for the decor, which is vile imho, I might quite like it.  The interior is a good solid white without being thick and gloopy.
I know what you mean about suddenly noticing things - perhaps that's it, I was just wondering if they were all suddenly flooding in from somewhere.  But then I also saw a lot of these pieces at a fair a few months ago and all the pieces that I've  seen in this decor have been damaged in some way, leading me to  think they maybe genuinely  quite old.  Keith I think the decor on your mug is much prettier - I can see the similarity with the dark colours though.  I just think this splashy effect on the bowl is horrid.  How old is the mug do you think?  I was thinking Victorian?  

I'll be off to look up Harrach pieces now Christine, thank you. Again I'm not overly keen on the lidded box if I'm honest.  I'd prefer it without the feet and without the glue  ;D

thanks again
m

Offline keith

• Members
I'd have thought early 20th century but don't quote me ;D

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
I noticed them on our favourite auction site as well. Suddenly there were quite a few similar pieces. (I spend way too much time there  :-[ )
Julie

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Julie, I think they were probably listed in Victorian and I was looking for lidded boxes which is where I saw them all, they were all listed by the same person.  And I'd seen some of them and a jug at a fleamarket as well, so perhaps I just happened to be seeing all the same pieces round about the same time. 
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I believe the first piece may very possibly be a piece of Welz...... The ribbing in the mold is quite similar to a basket mold they used on quite a few decors, and the pattern of color can be found in different variations on what I see referred to as Welz "Trophy Vases". 

I am not sure on the second one.  IMHO would place both of them ca. 1925 or so.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
oh thanks Craig - coincidentally I saw two 'trophy' shaped vases last night in the pink and green decor, but just whizzed over them and didn't save (no id on the blurb).  Obviously I can't find them now to link to  ::)
I very rarely ever talk glass down, but I have to say that decor combined with a trophy shape vase would rank as my least appealing piece of glass ....and I love Welz glass. 
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I agree.... although they are out there I really have absolutely no desire whatsoever to own one...... and with the research I am doing on Welz, I am not all that picky about their glass..... most of the time.....  ;D

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand