No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Just curiosity on my part - for discussion two old 'spatter glass' pieces  (Read 1748 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I spotted this on our favourite auction site and wondered if that decor might get us a little further with pinning the little bowl down as Welz?
m
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310308601707&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
That particular image, although it is tough for sure from the angle, appears to be Welz Honeycomb in green and white. I think this locks the Welz attribution for the bowl if it is indeed Honeycomb.

The decor is also similar to this piece, in my collection which I suspect to be Welz, but without the ribbing.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Craig, I think it is a honeycomb pattern, I was just wondering whether that was a Welz pattern as well as a Kralik one, so I think that is the little bowl buttoned down to Welz then.
I like your non ribbed vase you've shown.  That reminds me very much of the hyacinth vase I showed you, but without the cup and different colour decor but the same decor and shape don't you think?
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
This particular Honeycomb decor in green and white is a marker for Welz pieces.......
I am attaching an example of what I think the pattern on the piece is....
Craig

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Lovely decor and colours Craig - Not keen on that shape though (or my little bowl either)  they rank alongside the trophy vases for me.  Welz have done some beautiful shapes - I wonder if that is a different time period perhaps earlier ? 
m

Offline keith

• Members
That green one sits on the shelf next to these.....

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I do not think they are earlier. Many of the Honeycomb pieces are marked Czechoslovakia. I think a large part of their now known production is 1920's -30's.....  I think they did a lot of product which was styled as if it were produced earlier... They are not really identifiable in the early Butler catalogs, and start appearing in Butler mid to late 20's in much larger numbers.   Like many of the trophy vases.....  I too like the decor a lot, but am not keen on the shape.... I am personally not real fond of handled pieces of most kinds..... I can only think of 2 pieces with handles out of all of my glass....  One is a Kralik pitcher and glass set, and the other is a plain white Kralik Deco piece with clear handles I bought purely because of the shape.......  and I have got a few pieces of glass hanging around...  ;D   

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand