No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Citrine bubble vase with internal dropped 'well', snapped clean pontil mark  (Read 560 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have waited a suitable time since Anik's post to post this  ;D
I'm stuck.  It has lots of age wear to the base, so that if there were ever a sig it would not be there now.
It has a gently curved inwards base to a beautifully finished snapped off pontil mark, clean, smooth and just a crease on one side of it.
It is a gorgeous colour I have to say - definitely 'citrine' I would think.  It's about 10.5cm high by 9.5cm wide. 
Any help much appreciated - ideas etc.  Could it be Italian?
Many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
I can't help you with the maker, but I do think it's an attractive piece.  It must look wonderful when the sun falls on it.

Oh and no vulgar or common remarks from me...  I've decided to be as good as gold from now on.  :angel:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Citrine bubble vase with internal dropped 'well', snapped clean pontil mark
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:26:27 PM »
In looking for something else I've just seen one of these looking very similar to mine, described as a Victorian 'dump' inkwell.  Any thoughts on whether that is a correct description would be much appreciated  :sun:
Many thanks.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 02:02:07 PM »
I thought the colour Citrine was often an indication something could be ZBS......

(one of the few snippets of thoughts I do have on makers of Czech glass - apart from the obvious "it's stunning but i'm clueless")
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:51:12 PM »
Sue, it is associated with ZBS, but I don't think this shape is theirs.  I perhaps should have just called it pale yellow?  I'm not sure it would be an inkwell iykwim?  I mean, it could have been a pen holder of some sort perhaps.  Grasping at straws here  ;D
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I wonder if it would be possible please to move this to paperweights for a short time, to see if anyone recognises this as a dump weight of some sort?
many thanks
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand