No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Satin glass Madonna possibly studio glass? unsigned  (Read 922 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Satin glass Madonna possibly studio glass? unsigned
« on: April 10, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »
Any thoughts or has anyone seen anything similar please?
She measures 11.5" (29cm) tall;clear face inset to turquoise glass main body and clear halo.  Facial features are beautiful.
Base unpolished but ground and edge carefully bevelled. She's a lovely piece (even OH likes her!) and heavy.  Unsigned and OH says 'huhh tourist piece' but I really think not (open to correction though  ;D) I think she is studio made.
Thanks for any direction.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Satin glass Madonna possibly studio glass? unsigned
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:11:34 PM »
sorry, not intentional bumping but I wanted to post a better picture from the side.  Her hands are clear satin as well as her face and halo.  I'm wondering if she is a Shakspeare piece.  I may drop Will a line and see what transpires.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »
I have seen a few Madonnas that look to have been from different makers, and the same Madonna in varying colour combos (if you see what I mean). I bought this orange and uranium Madonna last summer, while researching I stumbled onto another matching one with a modern generic Murano sticker on it.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:16:35 PM »
Aaarrrgh please don't tell me OH is going to be right  :o  I can see what you mean though John, they do look similar especially the robe, but I'm pretty sure they aren't the same.  The base of the robe is different and the height of the hands, the face and head and way the head is bowed is also.  So, are you thinking that if I search I may come across a variety of different colour combo Madonnas all looking the same   :cry:  How did you find yours?  I've searched extensively and come up with not a lot - I'm off to have another trawl then just in case.  I will still love her, even if I finally find out she has been cloned  ;D
thanks
m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 09:46:59 PM »
Cloned or not, m,  I think she is absolutely lovely, and as you say, it matters not if she is a tourist piece,  if she moves you......I feel that way with the engraved Optic lense of the Madonna and child I posted a few months ago.

Now, everyone is calling this a Madonna,  BUT, MIGHT it be St Theresa????
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 10:19:45 PM »
yes I thought she may be as well Rosie having come across a thread where Ivo referred to a Leerdam piece I think it was - but thought safer to refer to her as the Madonna until told otherwise.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
Theological questions are not my strongpoint....

They do look as though they differ, this one was bought at a bootsale and the matching M with sticker was on ebay (different colour combo). I have since noticed a 'clear' satin version (or two) probably from another maker again. Think I saw a Scandinavian version once too, maybe it was not a Madonna (see above ;D).

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 11:18:31 PM »
errhummm, I have now found one that looks more similar I added 'figurine' into my search - amazing what a difference one word can make), made in a kind of creamy opalescent type glass with loads of gold.  I wonder if there was a mould of some sort then?  Or perhaps mine just comes from the same maker of the creamy one. It wasn't exactly the same but near enough for me to think same maker or mould, but mould then adapted as the foot was different definitely - difficult to tell on the rest but it did look very similar.  So perhaps mine is Murano glass?  I'll keep an eye out and report back   :).
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 07:19:20 AM »
I had wondered if a mould was used to form the face, the rest looked hand formed to me.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 08:40:41 PM »
 John I saw one very similar to yours today - may in fact have been nearly the same.  The lady who owned it told me it had been her mum's, her mum was Italian and she thought she'd bought it in America.  I've just been through old posts and seen an Angel that looks as though it may have come from the same 'school'. (and see Svazzo's response)
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5569.msg46662.html#msg46662

so possibly a JI import product?
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand