No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for amethyst cylinder vase  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request for amethyst cylinder vase
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »
Oh, what a thicky - I had foregotten completely about Hajdamach's book - sorry.       It's what comes of having too many books :-[       I'll look tomorrow, and thanks again.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request for amethyst cylinder vase
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
unfortunately, I don't own any Lemington cylinder vases with which to make comparisons.       If you read Hajdamach, it appears that the Lemington cylinders - in steel, amethyst and gold - were produced in three sizes of 10", 9" and 8"  -  the tallest being identical to the largest K.L. size.       The fact that my amethyst is 9.3/4" could be either that it was a Lemington piece intended to have been a 10" one, and the blower had an off day  -  or, as Lemington didn't make this size then it has to be a K.L. production.    Either way, don't think I can say anymore  -  other than, looking carefully at the pix of Lemington cylinders in Hajdamach, it looks almost that the rims were ground/polished, as opposed to K.L. cylinders which I believe are all fire polished.     Again, it could be my eyes, but the Lemington examples - in the book - seem to show only mould blown bases, not ground pontils as I think all the K.L. ones show.           Need someone to comment please, who has a few of the earlier Lemington examples.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand