No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: controlled bubble/wrythen amber vase for id.  (Read 824 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
controlled bubble/wrythen amber vase for id.
« on: April 17, 2011, 09:07:34 PM »
this was the other half of an auction purchase last year.    The bubbles start as tiny seeds in the base, and become almost like javelins at the shoulder, and then decrease a little at the rim.   Base has quite a large deep ground/polished pontil mark.    Height is something like 10.25" - 260mm - really is quite a stunning vase  -  although surprisingly not a water stain in sight  -  too big possible to fill with water.    Maybe the flowers went in dry :)   Plenty of wear, and might even go back to 1925  -  1940 period.     I was thinking possibly Webb/Richardson  -  but in view of the absence of any marks, I'm really only guessing  - so some help from the experts will be appreciated please. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paulbowen

• Members
Re: controlled bubble/wrythen amber vase for id.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
What does "wrythen" mean?  Is that a typo?  A Britishism?  Never heard / saw the term before.   :phew:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paulbowen

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 11:24:48 PM »
Here is an answer to my own question.  I'm assuming this is a VERY British term.

http://www.encyclo.co.uk/define/Wrythen

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:39:39 AM »
hello Paul  -  I immediately rushed for the shorter OED, only to find that the full word is not used  -  I've also just looked thru both of the Charles Hajdamach's volumes (the indices), and disappointingly he doesn't include the word either, from what I can see.    My other dictionaries for glass give brief and obvious meanings but without any historical reference.        But yes, it of course an extension of the root 'wry'  -   and relates to a style of twisting or spiralling which seems to have been very common during the C18 and C19  -  although I suspect glass workers have been twisting glass for a lot longer.      However, the fact that a twisty sort of glass has been around for a long time, doesn't prove that earlier workers used the word 'wrythen'  -  they may have used the word 'twist', only  -  so I don't know when 'wrythen' was first used  -  perhaps someone who is really clever can help us.
You're probably right, in that the word in this spelling is English - although no doubt other countries had an equally appropriate word, since glass in this style has doubtless been made everywhere for a long time  -  particularly on the the Continent. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:33:38 AM »
Websters American dictionary give the spelling as writhern and the preferred spelling in the OED is also writhern.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:26:01 AM »
thanks Christine, however, my copies of the shorter OED and Websters do not include the letter 'r'  -  are you able please to check again for me :) :hi:            Anyway, now for an attribution for my vase (pronounced 'vaise', I guess) ;)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 10:54:42 AM »
Sorry; it's me typing as I say it (as in earthernware  >:D:-[ and doing two things at one. No second "r'.

Offline paulbowen

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »
Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand