No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Show & Tell - A new piece for fun. Boston & Sandwich Icicle Vase  (Read 650 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
An American piece, apparently with a production life from 1850-1880. This piece is approx 6 inches tall and about 3.5 inches in diameter. A really unique piece I added to my collection over the weekend.

Found on the quite dark bottom shelf in the back of a buried case in a really full, and kinda junky store. It had likely been sitting there for years...  You had to kneel down to see it, and that is kinda difficult for me to do.... but for some reason I was moved to do it in front of the case.....

It has a couple of very small losses to the tips of a couple of the icicles which you have to look hard to see, but as an overall it is in quite nice shape considering it is anywhere from 130-160 years old.... A blue ground is apparently one of the most desirable colors and more difficult to find....

It is a very whimsical piece of glass I thought some of you would enjoy seeing.....  Similar to the Stevens & Williams decor, but in particular the icicles are quite different and distinctive.

The final bonus was that they had no idea what it was, had it forever, and sold it to me cheap....  $39.50  which was half off  :thup:  It was across the street from the shop where I bought the other piece I posted in pink with the strapping on it.....

Enjoy.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Show & Tell - A new piece for fun. Boston & Sandwich Icicle Vase
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »
Nice one Craig.  :thup:

It's the getting up again that's usually the issue here, especially when it's in front of wobbly shelves.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:25:56 PM »
It's gorgeous!  :) I'd been having a mooch around the net to see if I could spot something similar after your last post, but would never have found it.
Amazing what will power can do (and the need to find a special piece of glass  ;D)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 05:32:03 PM »
Christine....  It is the getting up that is more of an issue...... but knowing that makes the going down to look more of a challenge.....    :thup:

M......  I got this and the (now) controversial pink and blue strapped piece across the street from each other....  It was a good day for glass.... In an area of shops I had not been to before......  I must get out of my comfort zone more often I guess.....  It seems to pay off   ;D

This piece is really strikingly different from anything I own.....  probably what drew me to it....  I did not know what it was at all when I found it..... Just thought it was very unusual and I had not seen a piece of it before..... and it looked really dingy in the dark store.  I took a pic and did some research and when I identified it, I called the store and asked if they would hold it for me to drive back down and get it the following day.....

When I got out to the car after buying it, and looked at it in the light (it was sunny out) I was thrilled to death with it..... It really came alive in good light......

Brought it home, washed it up, and it is definitely a keeper!!

Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand