No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for uranium bowl  (Read 2169 times)

Offline marie anne

• Members
Re: id request for uranium bowl
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 07:02:42 PM »
I'm sure I had one of these a while back and was told it was Czech.  There's a very similar one on the black-poppy website at http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/Miscellaneous_&_Unknown_-_Bowls/photo231.htm  .  I too have a weakness for that cool green glow :)   
Marie.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 08:07:29 PM »
Marie  -  thanks for the link  -  must admit to being unaware of this site - some stunning pieces of glass for sure.   I've trained myself now to not buy all the u. pieces I see  -  if I did there would be disaster.   I'd probably keep any Yellow Pearline, Webb's or other British, but much of the material has a big footprint, and you need to be like Pamela, and have a museum to house the collection ;D
thanks Pamela -  :X: that you might find this design on your travels.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
Hi Paul,
I may have found your bowl.  Going with the Czech idea I had a look at the Czech glass database from Marcus Newhall's book.  Your bowl looks like Rosice pattern number 2765.  It's also shown on page 8 of the 1957 Rosice Moravske Kyjov catalogue on the same CD (but numbered page 10 if you look at the pdf file page numbers).  The images in the database and catalogue are line drawings from a side view and the given diameter is 200mm so I may be mistaken but it looks very close to me.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »
good bit of sluething Marie  -  certainly looks the same.    I've re-measured my bowl, although cant stretch it to more than 192/193mm  -  but guess this comes within a normal tolerance for these sort of pieces.         Really embarrassing, as I have both Marcus's book and CD, and it isn't the first time I've forgotten completely to look, when all else has failed - think I'm spending too much time looking at 'British' material.    My thanks for your time and trouble, and am sure that at some time it will go to a good home. :)

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 10:45:15 AM »

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 01:23:26 PM »
very interesting, thanks.    I've just checked Vol. II of the Sowerby CD set (George V to Elizabeth II)- and unable to see a bowl remotely similar to mine.    However......there is a 'Floating Bowl' on page 13 of the 1956 catalogue (list No. 38) item No. 2565, which includes a seated female on a flower dome.     This model is very similar to the one shown within the bowl in your ebay link  -  but in my opinion is definitely not identical.    It may be that the seller has seen this seated model/dome and considered that their bowl must therefore follow suit, and must also be a Sowerby item.    I cud be wrong, but I suspect that Soweby were not making U. glass pieces as late as 1956 (although obviously they did do green)  -  now watch me get shot down for that comment.       Anyway, thanks again.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
That's not Sowerby green, though the lady is similar. The Sowerby lady does come in uranium though but from before 1956.

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 10:41:38 PM »

Diameter is about 7.5"/190mm, and may well be minus a plinth and/or a centre piece.     Very grateful if anyone does recognize the design, and thanks for looking. :)

Paul,
I'm sure you are correct that the attribution of the bowl and figure is wrong but I'm also fairly sure that the figure and the bowl are original together as I have seen several other sets (in amber and pink) of this combination of bowl and petite figurine.

Cheers
Megan

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 01:25:28 PM »
hello megan  -  I cetainly am a little dim at times, but on this occasion I'm not so sure that I fully understand your comments.       To re-cap...............think we have established that this bowl is Rosice and not Sowerby  -  we have also looked at Marcus Newhall's Czech catalogue (the CD), and this shows a picture of this bowl as a stand alone item (no centrepiece or plinth).          Wud you agree with me that had Rosice produced this item as a set, then might they not have show it as such??   
From what I am reading in your post, you seem to be suggesting that, despite the absence of catalogue proof, you believe my bowl was produced originally with a seated woman and plinth.
Sorry, but I don't collect these things remotely, so am not in the habit of looking, and have not therefore seen these bowls with centrepieces and stands.   The fact that you have seen one or two sets is not necessarily indicative of the fact that they belong together.
Regret that I'm not very helpful or knowledgable on these matters (certainly not as clued up as you may be on these uranium pieces) - they have big footprints and I have long since given up collecting them seriously  - however, hope you won't consider my reply flippant or unappreciative - it's always a pleasure to have someone join in the discussion (especially when they know more than me - which is frequently) :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 02:02:19 PM »
We only have the 1957 catalogue. The bowl matches so I would say possibly Rosice was a reasonable answer for both. There are several versions of the "Stump lady".  I would say that if Megan has seen several of these sets, then the lady and her bowl belong together.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand