No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with wine and spirits glasses -- Canadian?  (Read 723 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Help with wine and spirits glasses -- Canadian?
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:08:44 AM »
Hello,

My sister would like to know more about some glasses she got from her husband's great-aunty-Faye (or whoever) in Canada.  My sis insists that they are early 20th century and something very special.  I haven't a clue, though the pattern (made by machine in my opinion) is quite attractive.  Does anyone recognize the maker?

I forgot to take down the measurements, but I do remember that the glasses have got 12 subtle sides/facets.

Thank you for looking.  :hi:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help with wine and spirits glasses -- Canadian?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
Believe that you may well be correct about the method of decoration, which does look as tho it may well be 'machine etching' (the bowl is covered in a resist - the pattern is then outlined on the resist by a machine, so when dipped the acid cuts only where the pattern has been drawn)  -  someting that was quite common in the earlier part of the C20, although more often seen as spiral patterns and greek key designs.   These fine lines are quite typical of this method.       Unfortunately, you don't say what the underside of the foot is like - which will give a better clue perhaps to age/quality etc.  i.e. pontil marks etc. (or not).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »
This sort of decoration is very common on early/mid 20th US glass. I would ask here http://www.chataboutdg.com/

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:45:08 PM »
Unfortunately, you don't say what the underside of the foot is like - which will give a better clue perhaps to age/quality etc.  i.e. pontil marks etc. (or not).

:-[   You'd think I would have learned by now to pay attention to details.

Christine, thank you for the link.  But since I'm missing some important information about the glasses, I won't go and make a fool of myself elsewhere.  I thought the pattern alone would have been enough to recognise a maker.  I should have known better.

My thanks to the both of you.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 04:47:43 PM »
The pattern may well be enough on the other board; they are experts on etches. Try it, they're nice people

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
You may have noticed that Anik has been absent more than usual from the GMB recently, as understand she has been unwell.........so very best wishes to our friend in Krakow, and hope that she is now feeling better, or at least on the mend. :hug: :fwr:

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 12:04:55 AM »
They are similar it workmanship to my wedding crystal which was Bohemian (the compny, not the country). However my grandfather also had glasses in the same etching. Below is a close up of the etching.

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand