No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frantisek Peceny 'Candle Wax' vase... but not Hermanova... how disappointing  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
On Wednesday, I was extremely pleased to win what I was 100% sure was a Hermanova glassworks 'Candle Wax' vase.  At 23cm tall, I thought it would be a great companion for my 18cm vase...  I even went 'all out' and paid a total of 60zł for the piece and the postage.

My heart sank when I unwrapped the parcel and found the moulded word 'ITALY' on the base.  It took me some time to decide that it's not so bad, and that an 'Italy' version of the vase could be an interesting addition to my collection.  It's only when I started to take photographs that I realized my new vase is badly damaged.  There is an 11cm long crack near the base which can be felt from the inside. 

:cry:   How upsetting.

I notified the seller a few hours ago and am still waiting for his reply.  I do hope I can get my money back.  Good grief.

Here is a picture of my 18cm Hermanova vase beside the 23cm Fidenza one, a photo of the moulded 'ITALY', and finally, a snap of the damage.

Just when I thought I was finally having a relatively good day.  I need a hug.  And my money back.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
sympathies to you Anik, and  :X: that you will get your refund..........and here is a gug, er, guh, er no........shud be hug ;D :hug:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
From what I understood the original design not only has been sold to Italy, but also to Taiwan (or the pattern has been copied in Taiwan, the story is a bit unclear on that account). As the design is the same, I'm not sure if there are telltale signs of how the original Hermanova production would differ. Does anyone know?

And of course my sympathies as well. It's very annoying when you're not getting what you hoped you were getting. I had the same last year with a Schrötter bullit vase, but I only knew for sure the other one was a copied pattern when I finally got my hands on an original one and could notice the design differences. Oh well, learning curve I suppose  :-\

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Anik, I hope you get your money back. 
Out of interest how much does the vase weigh?
m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
These have been discussed previously, maybe the info in this topic might be of interest:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26668.0.html <--- see especially sklounion's last post in this topic.

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
I'm both pleased and relieved to say that the seller has returned my 60 PLN.   :)

m, I can't tell you how much the vase weighs as it's no longer in my possession.  Except for the base, I really couldn't see any big differences between my original Peceny piece and the 'Italy' one.   

My thanks to everyone who commented. :kissy:

Offline Officinaquack

• Members
  • Bormioli, Fidenza Vetraria, Saivo, Covetro...
    • Glassware
    • Italy
Not Fidenza.

Mostly Borgonovo made it.

Offline Officinaquack

• Members
  • Bormioli, Fidenza Vetraria, Saivo, Covetro...
    • Glassware
    • Italy
Sorry for my double post.

Here attached the page from Borgonovo catalogue 1977/78

range: IRIS

Regards

Gab

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum