No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: confirmation for Murano cocktail glasses.  (Read 658 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
confirmation for Murano cocktail glasses.
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:21:04 PM »
Somewhat out of my area here, but picked them up because of my interest in drinking glasses.    Description reads:   about 3.1/8" - 80mm tall, with quite highly domed base, and folded foot rim, and with smallish snapped pontil mark (although I think one might have been given a little polish).    The green example flouresces very well.     Whenever I see pieces with these gold inclusions I now always give a quick scratch with a finger nail - but these pass the test, and the inclusions are within the glass.   I had assumed they are cocktail glasses, so trawled some of the Murano glass web sites for similar and drawn a blank.    Apologies if they have been up here previously, and I've missed them, and hope someone able to confirm my first thoughts.    I'd guess somewhere in the 60's to 70's.     thanks for looking :).   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: confirmation for Murano cocktail glasses.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 03:05:22 AM »
They appear to be Murano glass to me, Paul. I don't know who made them or when, though.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 06:01:56 AM »
I second that probably 20s thru to 50s . imho

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »
thanks for the confirmation :sun:  -  in fact there were eight of them in the charity shop, but I persuaded the woman to sell me these four only  -  perhaps I shud go back and buy the others.    With this type of foot rim, it's difficult to assess wear in view of the limited area of contact - and I'm surprised that they cud date to as far back as the 1920/30 period.   I like them so them will be keepers. :) 

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 10:30:24 AM »
Paul, the effect of the gold leaf on them reminds me of these. The photo is not good enough to show the pattern - excuse that, I was in the US at the time, and now they're packed away. But I'm wondering whether they could be related?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »
hello Cathy  -  wish I cud confirm for you, but regret that you are asking the wrong person. ;D     I have no real knowledge Italian/Salviati pieces such as these  -  however, Ivo seems conviced that yours are Salviati, and bearing in mind the similarity, then perhaps mine stand a chance of a similar provenance - I'd like to think they were :) (I have a single Salviati wine glass, and it is a delicate and attractive piece).    However, I notice that neither Anita or jp mentioned Salviati when replying.    It's not my area really  - 
plus the fact that I don't have any books devoted to Italian C20 glass.      I wud have bought these cocktail glasses anyway to go into my drinking glass collection, but I do like your little 'thimbles'  -  surely you cud find some space for pieces so small ;D       I bought an opalescent/gold bowl from this morning which I will post, and which may possibly be Salviati. :X:

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 01:52:51 PM »
I was wondering what Ivo thought.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand