No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: American, British and European Glass Fishing Floats  (Read 14902 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
American, British and European Glass Fishing Floats
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 10:43:41 PM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
... am I right in concluding that Miller's is completely wrong about the fish ...

No, for various reasons.    Miller's was not wrong, because the attributions were written by the image suppliers.    Nor was the image supplier, FD, wrong, because this was written pre-Timberlake, and then virtually all authorities would have attributed these fish to Murano.

When assessing the quality of a publication, care should always be taken to consider it in the light of the state of knowledge at the time of compilation.   In the case of this book, the date of compilation of the captions covers several years, as many of these images and captions were recycled from other Miller's guides.

Having said that, the quality of attributions is reasonably good but quite variable, as you would expect.   On pages 82 and 83, there are two extremes.    P82, top right you have a superb 5-star caption by JHa, whose material, both then and now, is consistently comprehensive and faultless.    On the opposite page you see a ludicrous contradiction, where the attribution of a trinket set appears to change when it has lost its candlesticks!    I imagine that BKK was rather annoyed by this, as, quite obviously, this is an example of careless recycling by Miller's of two images originally published some years apart.   Their team should have spotted this, consulted and corrected it.

As knowledge has improved, so a number of unattributed items are now attributable.    There are several fine pieces by Walsh and at least one by Kempton in this category.

I hope you find this book as valuable as I have.    As with almost all books, one good purchase will easily cost-justify it.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: American, British and European Glass Fishing Floats
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 10:52:22 PM »
Today I saw and was able to photograph what I think is a green glass fishing float, which has on one end MADE IN ENGLAND in raised letters, and on the other the initials F G C.

Does anyone have suggestions as to who F G C would have been please?

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline seahermit

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 01:11:16 AM »
Today I saw and was able to photograph what I think is a green glass fishing float, which has on one end MADE IN ENGLAND in raised letters, and on the other the initials F G C.

Does anyone have suggestions as to who F G C would have been please?

Hello Anne,
I wanted to thank those of you who have responded to my initial post about glass fishing floats, and also to respond to your latest post.  I just received an email telling me that you had posted, and am happy to know that there is some interest to date.
Yes, that is a glass fishing float.  I have a few variations of the FGC Made in England floats.  I believe that FGC are the initials for the Foster Glass Company.  I have tried to find the facts to support my guess, going as far as the research dept. of a library that holds the Foster Glass Company records.  Unfortunately, nothing about fishing float production was located. 
Among the variations of this marking is one that was machine made with a raised neck seal.  The Northwestern Glass Co. of Seattle, Washington, Cincotta Brothers floats, and Owens/Illinois of Oakland California, also produced machine-made floats with the raised neck seals.  I am thinking that only larger bottle producers with the capital to afford the machines necessary to produce in quantity, would have made these raised neck floats.  Foster Glass Company was that type of company.
The marking on the raised neck floats occurs on the side of the float.  The mark reads: "Pat. Pending", below that the number 1 or 2, and below the number,  "FGC."
Another variation is without the raised neck seal.  In its place is a "seal button," like the float in your post.  The seal button is a gather of glass which was placed over the hole left from a blowpipe than flattened to seal the float.
Again, on the side of the float, the same words, numbers and letters occur.
A third variation only has the letters, "FGC," embossed onto the seal.
The fourth version, which I think came at the end of the company's float production, is like your posted float.  The embossing, "Made in England," is on the top of the float, with the letters, "FGC," on the seal. 
I have another float that I believe was made by the same English company.  It too has the raised neck seal, and is embossed solely with an anchor on the side of the float.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 09:21:35 AM »
Fleming, 1938, reports that floats and Witch balls were being made by Scottish East Coast glass works and that would date to around 1700. He describes that the mariners would decorate a pair, take on on the trip and the other hung in a window of the house. Adding that decorated ones are really found as the paint easily came off. However, as a source he is not always reliable.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »
Seahermit, thank you for such a detailed reply, what a very interesting area this is. Can you tell me more about Foster Glass Company please, like where they were in England, as this is a totally new name for me.

I should also have added dimensions to the post above, this one is approx 6" in diameter.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 02:09:39 PM »
Benjamin Foster Glass Works, Stockwell 19th Century perhaps

Offline seahermit

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 08:57:06 PM »
Seahermit, thank you for such a detailed reply, what a very interesting area this is. Can you tell me more about Foster Glass Company please, like where they were in England, as this is a totally new name for me.

I should also have added dimensions to the post above, this one is approx 6" in diameter.

Hi Anne,  At this time, I cannot find my original research on the company, and I made a mistake in the company's name.  The name was Forsters Glass Co. Ltd.  I believe that it was located in St. Helens, Lancashire, and my research went through the St. Helens Library.  If you know of this company, perhaps we can add something meaningful to this thread. 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »
Here is a bit of info

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 09:56:58 PM »
Forster's Glass Co., Ltd., Atlas Bottle Works, St. Helens
London office:
Forster's Glass Co., Ltd., 57, Victoria Street, S.W.1

A gratifying review of the past year's operations of Forster's Glass Co. was given by Sir Sydney H. H. Henn at the annual meeting of the company. The profit for the year was £41,205 and £17,000 added to the reserve account, which now stands at £60,000. Sales did not quite reach the record total of last year, but by means of increased efficiency in the works it was possible to somewhat improve the profits. etcetera

Offline seahermit

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 01:53:49 AM »
I've posted two photos of different FGC floats on my blog over here.  One photo shows the raised neck seal, the other shows the normal type of float seal with side of glass marking. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand