No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Boffo penguin?  (Read 7145 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Boffo penguin?
« on: May 16, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »
Bought this at the weekend seller had lot's of Mdina glass plus this and a Malta decorative glass dog.
Posted a picture in a past thread on whitefriars.com where a good source says he has seen one with a MDG label on.
The dogs have been discussed before maybe made by a different hand but under the guidance of Vincente during the short time he was there?
For anyone who as not seen one the dog is poor quality glass and to be honest not that well made?

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/MADEINMALTAAMBERGLASS#5572060681558808690

The penguin is a little different well made (IMHO) though again not the best quality glass.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/Penguin#5607330215628915986

Chris

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Boffo penguin?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »
I think I should keep out of these "potentially, might be Boffo in the right light and the correct shade of rose coloured glasses" animally things!
I'm no judge of them at all. Phoenician Glass made a lot of penguins, very similar in basic penguinny shape to the one you show here, though I think they tend to have a lot of colours.
To me, the dog looks like a far more complicated thing to achieve then the penguin, I would say it took a lot more skill to make!

If it's Boffo attributions you're interested in, I reckon you're better off with the wfs experts and their opinions - it's them who will be interested in them, Chris.  :spls:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »
Have you been on the site lately Sue? it's like pulling teeth to even get someone to respond.
This was my original post.

http://www.whitefriars.com/bb_orig/viewtopic.php?t=4314

Note the listing title and the price :wsh: note the response from Wolfie he seems to think MDG and as seen them labelled
I am not in any shape or form, rose tinted glasses or otherwise suggesting they were made by 'Boffo' though the seller clearly was along with-frigger- Mdina and W/F  ;D and certainly not 'fishing' for a Boffo attribution. See my original post and you will see how  sceptical I am regarding the sellers attributions.
Simply posting a question on a general glass board and trying to start a discussion.
Of course everyone made penguins and birds and fish and dolphins that's why we post on here hoping someone can help or maybe a labelled one comes along, we don't pack it away in a box because we don't know what it is.
Not seen many labelled MDG pieces so it was good to find the dog with the label sure I for one wouldn't have had a clue who made it otherwise and by the way in the flesh it is 'ruff' trust me.

Chris :sun:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:49:34 PM »
Most of the MDG stuff is a little wobbly around the edges, that is all part of it's charm I think. Given what we know about the works that is not surprising.

By coincidence this arrived today, a Malta Decorative Glass whale. Like many MDG items it is cased in amber, the core is mottled white and purple (looks black), 17cm long.

No idea about the penguin but would like to see one with a label before I trusted the attribution, even then it's not cast iron. If you could find one with the MDG style Maltese Cross impressed mark I would be most impressed too. ;D

John

I have just noticed the MDG initials around the cross on the label for the first time.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 03:24:28 PM »
I sort of need pulled by the teeth to go there, Chris, no, I've not been. :thud:

I've seen the big wfs Boffo penguins. They're ok if you like that sort of thing.
My interest in MDG is in the beautiful colours and the way Boffo could put them together, building on Michael Harris' designs. His way of producing them is, to me, easily recognisable.

I honestly couldn't tell one of these (to me) ghastly little penguins from the next.... I'm not interested in them, I don't like them, I'm sure Leni's hubby could easily make one in his kitchen with his little blowtorch - if he had the inclination to do so. So sorry, I'm not much use with these things.
I emailed Patrick a bird for sale in the distinctive Boffo way of executing Earthtones. He didn't seem convinced it was Boffo, though. I sent him the link to the whale John has but got no reply.

Tut, tut, John, you have seen the whole label before - don't you remember I bought a paperweight (eeeeeek! :wsh: ) just to get hold of one - and it was that weight which led us on to the whole MDG thing and allowed us to work out what bits were which and where and when (though still working on that one) they were made!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »
I know Sue.  :-[

I had my blinkers on and your label is a bit more worn than this one, well that's my excuse anyway. ;D

How big is the penguin Chris?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »
Only around the edges John, not where it counts (just like me  :smg: )

I have not one iota of doubt that your whale is a Boffo bit John, it is beautifully formed, sleek and elegant - quite reminiscent of the wfs penguins, (but far more interesting with all the colours).
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 04:40:14 PM »
I did choose the most 'photogenic' shots. It's not as sleek in some.  ;D

John

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:56:51 AM »
Here is a link to a penguin chick of mine (similar but different !).

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31117.0.html

I have always thought that there is a Whitefriars link to these little penguins, however tenuous that might be.

I've posted a couple of shots of the penguin chick next to a Whitefriars Kingfisher Blue door stop and I cannot distinguish between the two colours .
Mike

Offline pinky1989

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
can you please send more pictures of this penguin to my hotmail

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand