No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for 'ice crackle glass'  (Read 421 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for 'ice crackle glass'
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
Results for 'crackle glass' are prolific - mainly for water jugs and vases etc., but I couldn't see something of this shape, although may have missed it.  A plain 'from the mould' base, with four mould seams, (am assuming this is mould blown)  -  but the four internal projections are very unusual.   Possibly a vase, but might be an ice bucket perhaps.   Height is about 5.3/8" - 137mm, and some base wear although difficult to see in this clear glass, and with a ground/bevelled top rim.  Sorry pictures are a little inadequate, they don't really do justice to the massively indented surface.    I have looked at past references from Ivo and Craig (some of Alfredo's images), but hope someone can assist, and thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: id request for 'ice crackle glass'
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
I'm sure we've had this on here before. It's an ice bucket. The projections are for a drainer to keep the ice out of the melt water.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:40:48 PM »
It looks very much like the WMF ice bucket shown here, just in crackle rather than overshot glass:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4652.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:30:01 PM »
my thanks to both of you  -  and I think this might have been a case of 'deja vous'  -  as Ivo comments in the link, these are not that uncommon, and I may well have seen one before and forgotten.     However, I have now also answered my own question..........whilst at an antiques market this morning I saw another - same pattern/design, and with a plated top rim and handle, but with an overshot/frit coating  -  and yes, obviously an ice bucket.    thanks again.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand