No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Positively odd glass owl... Maltese?  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Positively odd glass owl... Maltese?
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:25:04 PM »
This magnificently strange glass owl came my way as a gift from a very generous soul outside of Poland.  :)  I wish I knew how to adequately describe the object... The inside is made of clear glass. It then has a thin layer of goldish-beige not evenly spread over the bird. That layer is covered with turquiosy-green glass of varying thickness. Then, in some places over the green, is another thin layer of goldish-beige.  Does that make sense?   It's 9cm tall and weighs 458g. 

I found a similar owl (though in a different colourway) in Frank's Glass Zoo labeled and signed Mdina.  My owl has not got any marks, but it has got quite a lot of wear to the base.

All thoughts welcomed.  Thank you for looking.  :hi:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Positively odd glass owl... Maltese?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:35:34 PM »
I don't actually know when or for how long this lovely range of surface decorated pieces was produced. They mostly seem to be owls, apples or miniature bottles in various shapes - there are a few on ebay just now, easily found under a search for Mdina - but they're not always available. They make quite good money!
I've got an owl and a tiny "squashed flat" flanged bottle.

The silvery, yellowy, goldy lustre-y effects are the result of the glass and silver metal reacting (silver metal ions dissociate from the chloride ions in intense heat - it's the silver chloride salt which is used - but I don't know precisely how this particular effect was achieved.

At the moment these are filed under; "Collect now, find out about later."
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:51:05 PM »
Thank you, Sue  :kissy:.

Before posting, I did search "owl" and "Mdina" on ebay UK, but did not come up with anything which I thought pointed me in the right direction.  I also did not see another piece with the same marble-like decoration and colours.  I guess in my excitement, I missed something.  :usd:

I really do like this owl -- the bum indentation at the top of its head adds to its quirkiness. ;D

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:12:38 PM »
Hi Anik  :hi:  Sorry I haven't been in touch for a while......will put that right soon!!
In the meantime, I have one of these little owls with 'Gozo Glass' etched on the base, so the Maltese attribution seems to be accurate.
They are cute, and I am off to see if I can find where I have put him..........only about 600 pieces to look through  :wsh:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:37:31 PM »
Certainly Sue....I will take a pic of him....he is smaller and is clear glass with the applied colours....a bit scuffed when I bought him,  but OK as he also has a label!! (Probably means he is more modern though!)
Rosie.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
Gozo was founded by Michael Harris and Leonard Mulligan (who started Phoenician glass) and Rupert Brooke as a retirement project in 1989.

I suspect this was perhaps a short-lived range at Mdina - you really don't see much of it about - and it's always expensive. The marks on my owl and flask are in different scripts - but both are scripts which are often mistaken as reading "Molina". I reckon '80s/'90s, but I could well be wrong.

Anik's owl is Mdina - right down to the bum head.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 04:17:46 PM »
Anik, the bits on ebay aren't owls!

Sue, I looked at ebay...  honestly I did... and not just for owls, but for glass with a similar design/effect.  But in my elation of being undeservedly spoilt with such lovely gifts, my eyes and brain took a momentary holiday. :spls:  I ended up overlooking what I had been looking for.

By the way, Michelle has got a similar-shaped owl, labeled Mdina, in her album:  https://picasaweb.google.com/112538457954992188877/Mdina#5582073838419219730

Rosie, I'd also like to see a photo of your Gozo owl... and Sue, may you post a picture of your owl as well?  Pretty  please...

:hi:

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 04:40:57 PM »
A couple here Anik

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/PAIRTURQUISEBLUEMDINAOWLS#5533898706543758722

Had a few over the years, nice but again struggled to get anyone else to think so  ;D

Chris

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 05:01:45 PM »
Here we go then,  but he is quite different now that I have found him....swirls of colour in clear glass:-
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand