No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small dish ID or info please.  (Read 982 times)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Re: Small dish ID or info please.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »
Thanks for the link Neilh.  There are definitely similarities between the designs on your plate and mine.  Like yours also, my plate is quite thick (about quarter of an inch/5mm).  Does the edge of your plate have a kind of indented line running all the way around?  (Mine does, which makes it look as if two plates have been pressed together to make one, but I don't know if that's possible/probable or just daft.)  No initials in the stippling or anywhere else that I can see, and I've had a good look.

I've done internet searches for lacy glass, molineaux lacy glass, webb lacy glass, baccarat lacy glass - not much comes up.  I haven't looked at Molineaux Webb though as I hadn't realised they were one and the same.  Pictures of Hartley & Richards 'amber stain' pieces popped up at one point, which was interesting as not many pieces seem to have had added colour.

Thanks for the info.  My quest has just begun and I've so many other things I should be doing . . .
Nancy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 10:12:29 PM »
I don't see an idented line on my plate. I have two plates of my design and they were clearly made at different periods. I have seen my design in amber, blue and green. I have also seen another with a similar pattern but without the stipples which was much lighter, and possibly much later.

I discuss my Queen Victoria early plate here which you might find of interest:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,36446.msg198321.html#msg198321

There is a lot of info on early pressed glass plates in Siegmar Geiselberger's magazine. Some articles are available online.
Here's the archive page where you can see some plates featured on front covers.
http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/archiv/archiv.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »
Thanks for the info and the links Neilh.  The initial in the stippling is tiny.  One more question - is the size of plate any indication of manufacturer?
Nancy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »
No, I don't believe so.

For example a Percival Vickers lacy plate circa 1860 was made in all sizes from about 3.5 inches up to 11 inches.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand