No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: probable 'Studio' glass, but who?  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
probable 'Studio' glass, but who?
« on: July 07, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
I'm almost certain, but know that I will be moved if I start in British ;).......no label, and I've hunted for the back stamp and am satisfied there is nothing there (I do have known pieces that aren't marked  -  plus a couple that are, so I know what the mark does look like).   I have examples in the quite common black, also in a shade of red, but don't see one in this blue/purple  -  however, the iridescence seems right, although the trailing effect seems much heavier than usual, and the base treatment is different to my other pieces (sadly there is a crack in the bottom).  Height is about 6"/150mm.    Picture four shows possibly the more usual shapes.   Maybe because of the MH connection, this one has a near Mdina look to the shape, and as has been mentioned previously, there is some helpful information in Mark Hill's book, although no pictures.   Anyone care to offer a date on this example, and thanks for looking. :)      Having said all that, I hope I'm not wrong :-\  -  but thank the mods. in advance for moving to British.
Ref.  'Michael Harris  -  Mdina Glass & Isle of Wight Studio Glass'  -  Mark Hill  -  2006 (pages 66 - 67).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: probable 'Studio' glass, but who?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:12:19 AM »
It might be Heron

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 06:26:25 AM »
That is not the Royal Brierley Studio pattern (though similar), the shape is not one I have seen before from RB either.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:39:50 AM »
thanks to both of you.          Must admit I had not heard of Heron previously, but will investigate.      Would agree with you John re the shape, so back to square one and will start again.    Very attractive iridescence by the way.

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »
The base would rule out Heron.
It looks like some studio trial that wasn't to successful.
Colourway is wrong for all the studios mentioned so far.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »
thanks Mike ...............being a bit of a novice, I think the shape also rather beguiled me towards the MH/Brierley connection  -  thus misleading me.    Regarding the base  -  it would seem that at some time in it's life, this piece has received a fairly heavy knock - giving rise to the bad crack, and removing a sliver/wedge from the bottom  -  although I think that it remains quite strong, structurally.    It has elements of a good pedigree  -  just remains to find out which one (I had even - again - thought of Alum Bay - in view of the iridescence).

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:30:38 AM »
Its difficult to tell from the picture but I thought the crack was at the point where the pontil was attached.
Two of the strongest points to spend time on in helping you identify a possible maker is to concentrate more on the type of blue colourway and the finishing on the base. Iridescence can lead you up to many blind allies especially as the same type of iridescence can be used by so many different manufacturer's and studios.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 10:49:51 AM »
I'd hazard Phoenician.

There is a downloadable thingy of their ranges of colours here.

http://www.phoenicianglass.com/

It is a finish that looks quite like some Gozo glass, but the shape isn't right, and the surface is far too deeply textured (I've got a Gozo bit in my mitts).
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 11:28:32 AM »
I assume the base was polished flat before its accident.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 11:34:17 AM »
thanks, although presently at work, so don't have access to the piece.   I think the whack was possibly in more or less the centre - although believe the base had been ground/polished 'all over', as in much of the Maltese, and feel sure the base you can see was an original feature.       Am sure you are right about the iridescence Mike.
Sue, the link to Phoenician is very useful, but think I'm having trouble more with the surface texture  -  also maybe with the shape, which don't think appears in their 'Collections'.     However, my piece I suspect is a few years old now, and shapes of course change.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand