No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chribska? or looky likey?  (Read 1985 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Chribska? or looky likey?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »
I found a couple of Mexican glass vases with blue decor. One had a label. They were like the OP's vase except the rims and color. Same pontil scar. So I would say the vase in this thread is probably Mexican. If not, it is a very good copy of thier style.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 03:58:10 PM »
That sounds like a  good match Anita and I think the vase looks very similar.  I'm curious about whether this would be recycled glass or not?

It has raised questions for me also about Spanish modern production glass and recycled glass. I've always wondered if there was a tie up between Mexican producers and Spanish producers somewhere along the line as to my eye there are similarities in the glass.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 04:09:18 PM »
m, Mexican glass is not as good as most European glass. I don't know what causes the blue tint in much of it. We would have to get a glass chemist to tell us about the differences in sand and maybe soda. From what I've read, their glass is not heated to the extent that European glass is. The Cristales de Chihuahua factory in Juarez is quite crude when compared to other countries. But I think the glass they turn out is delightful. Much of it, such as the cased slag elephants and other animals, are often sold online as Murano glass. And people pay good money for these animals! If only they knew what they were buying. :)

But actually the prices they are usually paying are fine for Mexican. They would just be too low for Murano.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 04:13:26 PM »
That's interesting Anita - I wonder in the future if some of those pieces will become 'collectable' like the earlier 1930's Chinese paperweights are starting to seem to be.
m

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »
Looking on the net at images for mexican glass vase, I found this http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/115493131/Mexican_hand_blown_art_glass_vases.html
It is Mexican recycled glass.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »
I'm  confused.  The link you gave goes to a vase with a marbled spotty appearance, for me.  Were you saying you'd found a vase on line the same as your vase, that said it was recycled? or were you giving me a link to recycled Mexican glass for interest?  :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »
I am probably diverting this topic slightly - but I think the link here to this piece
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/513717074/Wedding_Decor_Antique_Vases_Glass_Mexican.html
 demonstrates many of the points being made in this thread -
- about the difficulty of identifying Chinese glass
- how derivative some new glass can be
- the larger quantities these pieces can be churned out in

So....this vase on my link is on Alibaba
- it says it is Mexican
- it says the place of origin is Guangdong China
- it says the company is Xiamen Longree Craft Company (Fujian, China)
- but it doesn't say if they made it or just import them to ship worldwide or whether they were the distributor for the glass which was made in Guangdong China (which given it says that is the place of origin might be where it was made) or whether the 'place of origin' actually means where it would be shipped from, which given it also says it is Mexican is confusing. 
It says they can turn out 5000 per month, it also says it is 'Chihully'(sic) inspired.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
The source is the main thing to pay attention to on Alibaba or similar sites. For instance, much of the Chinese glass is called "Murano" on the Chinese sites because it is the style of the glass. It comes down to keyword spamming. A good example is the Anne Primrose glass that uses the phrase "Cristalleria di Murano" of something like that on all of its labels. People buy it thinking they are getting real Murano glass, when they are buying overpriced common Chinese glass.

Alibaba does have Mexico in its search, so it may handle some of it. However, I doubt they would import it first to China, then export it again. That would get awfully expensive. I notice that Heartofsklo's vase has Mexico as its source.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand