No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Just bought this - looks like Archimede Seguso to me  (Read 1561 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Just bought this - looks like Archimede Seguso to me
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 12:42:30 AM »
No ebay does not define this - some sellers do this but it is not a general rule. You can understand it from a sellers pov, take this vase for example I paid roughly $25 for it and shipping was $38 if they take it back the sale has cost them $101 less whatever they can sell the vase for. If this was the general case a lot more sellers would leave ebay.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 06:48:57 AM »
If it is uranium glass, which it looks as if it is, I would try reselling it as just a uranium glass perfume bottle, as it will have value from that PoV. Buyer beware as they say, we've all done it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 11:35:36 PM »
Very true - and this is not my first. I saw a pink opalescent vase in the UK, after careful checks against books and internet I bought, when it arrived it just didn't feel right. Did more research and it is a piece from eastern Europe I think??? Will look into the uranium glass option.

Shouldn't have been such a smart arse and bought the one Tami pointed out. I got so wound up about a yellow one my brains went out the window.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 09:23:02 AM »
Ardy, it is worth persuing a refund. 
I always tell the seller if it wasn't as described, and say I would like a refund please. 
They usually say, send it back and they will refund. 
I then say, happy to do that but would want reassurance that they will refund return postage.
They usually say they will refund original price and keep the item. 
If they say they want it back but won't pay return postage,  just leave a rotten negative feedback....it calms the angst anyway.
Poor you,  very disappointing.  :thud:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 01:28:26 PM »
Ardy, I'm sorry that the bottle is not what you hoped. I thought the rim did look a little thin to be A. Seguso, but I do not know all the pieces they made. Perhaps you can take a picture and put it on the general glass board. It may be something that is good. My first thought when I looked at it was that it looked German, but I didn't know.

I know your disappointment. I've done the same thing myself. Pictures can sell, and the picture looked promising. You can write to the seller and let him know it is not A. Seguso. Perhaps he will make the deal more palatable in some way. The shipping is very high, so returning would hurt you both. Perhaps you can work out a better arrangement.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 10:24:14 PM »
Thanks Rose and Anita but I will just check it to see if it is uranium and take Lustrousstone's advice and sell it on.

It is not the money it is more the loss of what I was hoping would be a good piece of AS - Need to grow another brain or get a better set of eyes.

The embarrassing thing is Alison said up front 'there's something not right about that stopper' and I ignored her as she knows nothing about AS or glass for that matter. Female intuition don't you just hate it? (If your male of course).

I think I convinced myself it is right, despite the little messages I also noticed like the thin edge that Anita mentioned.

There have been worse buys but I thought that was mostly behind me.  :ooh:
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand