No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Vase, with unusual label, help with age please  (Read 7180 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Mdina Vase, with unusual label, help with age please
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »
Lack of a mark on Mdina may only mean it never got engraved and the label's been removed. The naked bit and the burst bubble on yours may mean it came from the factory shop though.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »
Thanks Christine, that is interesting.

Robert

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 08:39:11 AM »
Actually, I think your piece is even more interesting BoBA.
It's not Earthtones, but Tortoiseshell, (Earthtones has frothy yellow bits). It's "nakedness" (lots of clear areas) is unusual.
I have two cylinder vases like this, one Mdina, the other a much shorter cylinder from Isle of Wight Studio Glass - it has the flame pontil mark, but I still think it's an experimental piece.
I've found a pic of them - but I'm afraid I don't know how to alter the colour to get rid of the allover yellow tinge, which is disguising the yellow effects in the Mdina piece, not present in the IoWSG bit.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 10:28:59 AM »
Thanks for the information Sue, mine has a flat polished base so must be Mdina issue, but still unusual and a nicely made thing (burst bubble aside!)

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand