No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: enamelled (?) vase snow scene woman carrying logs, crimped rim,satin glass  (Read 1710 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have absolutely no ideas about this kind of glass at all.  I'm aware it is probably not a 'name' since it isn't signed, but other than that I have no ideas at all about where it may be from, or how it was made.  It is satin glass with the enamelled picture on top (is it cold enamelled?).  I've tried to include close ups to show the enamelling/painting - it is quite flat and glossy on the surface in parts specially the tree trunks and then the snow is thickly done and raised off the surface quite a lot.
I found one vaguely similarish with a woman on the front on the Great Glass site under Legras (last vase under that category) and another on there that also is a woman and snow scene but looks quite different in terms of colour to mine, but other than that nothing.

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib3a.htm  

I don't think it is new  :-\ It seems to have a large pontil mark area and is ground on the base rim to sit flat....I think.  It has a sort of crimped rose bowl type rim.  
I'm not bothered whether it is posh or not - I just love it especially now I've got it illuminated, but I'd like to try and learn something from it.
Any thoughts you are willing to share very gratefully received  :sun: and thank you.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
more pics

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Not my area of expertise but aesthetically your knocks hoops of that Crimebay piece!

It is almost certainly enamelled. Quickest way to check is to try and flake the design with a needle, discretely of course! Enamel will not flake, cold decoration will.

A gorgeous find.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Legras would be a most believable attribution.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
And enamelled rather than cold painted I think. In cold painting, you can see the brush marks in the thicker bits as two dimensional lines rather than just lines. The reheating of enamelling makes them sort of slump into a single plane IYSWIM. In cold painting even the thin bits have an edge you can detect with your nail; these edges are much less apparent in enamelling. Enamelling is also much more common in my experience (3 cold painted to c.18 enamelled).

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Good morning m,  what a wonderful vase....at first I though Daum, but I would have expected it to be signed on the base......so I am with Ivo here....Legras seems like a good bet, and I have seen some similar on the web......Googling throws up some very similar,  but I am sure you have already done that.  Is there any chance that there might be a signature 'hidden' in the design?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 :)  thank you all so much for your lovely comments.
Well having had my confidence boosted (I didn't want to count my chickens) I looked further using searches in French rather than English.
I've posted two more pics of my vase.  The first showing the gloss of the enamelling (I'm now sure it is enamelled as I remembered a small enamelled burmese vase I had a while ago and the effect is very similar.  I remember also being confused about that one for a while as well). And once I then had the confidence to actually clean and wash the vase I discovered that it is internally ribbed - the second photo attempts to show this and hopefully you can see the faint shadows of the ribs.  It's come up beautifully now it is cleaned  :sun:
I keep meaning to add sizes - it is 24.7cm tall (9 3/4") by about 9.5cm widest (3 7/8")
What I have found so far makes me think it could be Legras on balance of probability, at the moment -
- The basic shape of the vase seems to be one they used,
- I have found the 6 crimp rim on some of their squat rose bowl type vases and also on a couple of tall versions combined with what appears to be the ribs.
- I've found a biscuit barrel id'd as Legras, that appears to be quite similarly decorated to my vase, in one of the Musee although the picture they give doesn't blow up which is irritating.
- I've now found a few vases that appear to be on the same kind of uncoloured satin ground as my vase, all appear to be dated from about 1870 to 1900.
llinks here
On the first link you will need to scroll down quite far but there is a very similar vase there which I think is signed

http://vienslechercher.com/

http://www.tourism-lorraine.com/en/pagetouristique.asp?IDPAGET=758&sX_Menu_selectedID=

Thank you again  :sun:
m

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
I've asked Mike Moir to have a look at this vase M.  He's vastly knowledgeable about this type of glass, so his opinion would be useful.  :) :)

http://www.manddmoir.co.uk/
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand