No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: VASELINE ART DECO STYLIZED LION HEAD DISH ID = Reijmyre, Sweden  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Sue C

• Members
Hi all, can anyone help me with this bowl?  it is two inches deep and eight inches across, and although it look's amber it glows a very bright green under UV light
Thanks in advance x

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: VASELINE ART DECO STYLIZED LION HEAD DISH
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:10:55 AM »
Reijmyre I think.

I have something similar http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1137
 and so do Steven and Ivo, scroll down http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,42182.msg234627.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 11:13:29 AM »
Yes definitely. These are from Reijmyre, Sweden. It is a factory design, meaning there is no individual designer name to be had. Produced in the 1930s.

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 12:29:18 PM »
Thank you Christine and Ivo  :-*  although the second link you provided Christine brought me straight back to my dish ??

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
In our gallery we have a patent for this design...[LINK REMOVED]...so why does a Swedish plate have a US patent?  :huh:
Janice

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »
To protect the importer from the ruthless local copycats of course.

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: VASELINE ART DECO STYLIZED LION HEAD DISH ID = Reijmyre, Sweden
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 07:37:21 AM »
[LINK REMOVED]

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »
I have also seen stemmed ware with the lion image on the stem.  It was made the the same company.  There are at least two different sizes of bowls and two different sizes of plates, and two different sizes of stemware.  I have a single plate in this honey amber uranium glass, diameter is 7.5 inches.  --Dave Peterson

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:21:17 AM »
This morning I received an update from a correspondent (Mariehem) in Sweden on Collector's Weekly.
Five months ago I had some research I'd done on the lion's head:
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/26684-reijmyre-sweden-artdeco-vaseline-lion-he?in=activity

I'd gone no further until the reply this morning:

"Referring to a brand new article, written by Börje A Y Åkerblom in the Swedish magasin Antik & Auktion nr 2 Feb. 2012, the plate with the lion is produced at Pukeberg Sweden and the creator is Jules Henri Venon.
Venon emigrated to US from France in the end of 20th century. Venon started in 1910 to take patent on a lot of glass ware. He imported a lot of glass ware from Sweden, starting with Reijmyre and then Pukeberg. Later on Venon cooperated with a lot of the glass companies in Sweden f. o. Alsterbro glasbruk, and Kosta.
Here are some facts of the Patent for the Lion:
Jules Henry Venon filed Patent on this Plate and similar articles in March 26, 1927
And I think he had got the patent at June 12, 1928
Venon Plate Design Patent D 75535-1
I think you may find this, if googling for some of these facts.
Many years ago I got the plate “Lion” as a heritage from a brother to my grandfather.
My plate is made of clear glass I am very happy to know the facts of it now, as I have not found anything about it before.

I had gotten similar information from the net and had proposed a suggestion for the designer if it were indeed Pukeberg.

This was my earlier post:

"Hi Susan! As you know I hit a wall with the idea of Reijmyre. But in my research on Jules H. Venon I came across some other pieces that he also patented around that period. It seems he made annual visits to Europe on buying expeditions.
I found an adddress and details for him noting that he sold out of a shop :
43 to 51 W 4th St, New York, NY
o   Sole Agency in North America for:
?   China by Charles Martin, Limoges France
?   China by Kornilow Bros, St Petersburg, Russia
?   Gustafsberg fabrics, Gustafsberg, Sweden
?   Kosta Glassware, Kosta, Sweden

But in one of the patents applications is a vase/glass pattern called Soldfjader (United States design patent number 72,506 by J.H. Venon April 19, 1927.) It can be found on the site :
[LINK REMOVED]

There has been discussion on the net and on GMB about this pattern. It seems that it is now accepted as a Pukeberg piece designed by their designer of those days: Harald Elof Notini (1879 - 1959).
So I went looking for items by Notini. Few itemsare documented on the net except for this Soldfjader or "fan" pattern.
I also had another look at the lion. Was it a cat or a lion? I looked at gryphons, St Mark's winged lion and finally did a google search of "pukeberg lions" and bingo!
There are quite a few mentioned with titles like "roaring lions"and "lion heads".
I have sent some emails to these sellers asking for any documentation they might have. As yet no replies, but I will let you know when they arrive.
And I've seen that Ivo believes it is Reijmyre and not Pukeberg.
So Pukeberg or Reijmyre. Designer unknown, but could be Harald Notini if it's Pukeberg.
The people who know of this plate are collectors of "vaseline glass".

Notini also designed lamps for Böhlmarks which are worth a look!
I've read that the Pukeberg Museum has reference to the "roaring lion plate".
When I come across more I'll let you know."

I've contacted Börje A Y Åkerblom in Sweden about the article and my idea of Harald Notini.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand