No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Globes for Perusal  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Mdina Globes for Perusal
« on: August 05, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »

Thought I would pop up a few pictures of these two delightful Mdina Globe vases. The yellow ochre vase, a recent purchase, arrived a few weeks ago after going astray in the post which was a little bit of a concern at the time! :o

Both measure just over 5 inches tall, the greeny/blue globe although the same size is much thicker and weighs nearly half a kilo more than the ochre one.

The ochre globe with the sandy swirls is a particular favourite.

Please enjoy.

Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Mdina Globes for Perusal
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 07:05:42 PM »
They are both lovely, the green one especially so. The green globe is an early one, the button rim and the thick glass give that away.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:12:46 AM »
They're both very early, and very lovely!

The ochre one is the nearest thing I've seen to your almost-inside-out, John.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:26:08 AM »
The one you gave me Sue (or was it a swap)? https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyMdinaGlass#5454388757958685634

Both the globes are early (for me that is while Mr H was still in charge) but the green is really early, I would guess closer to '68 than 72. The ochre globe is a very nice example especially with those swirls, the yellow ochre bits are much underrated I reckon.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 12:18:50 PM »
It was a swap, John - for the faceted non-cobalt inside-out.

It was the clear/yellow globe with the button rim (like the green globe here) was a pressie - but then you gave me that massive red bottle that made Denis go green and fall over his feet.....
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 01:06:31 PM »
Cough, cough, ahem, sorry about this :hj: Greg.

It had been living in my attic for years, it was just too big and I had nowhere to put it: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26537.0.html

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 02:49:36 PM »
No worries, thanks for your thoughts, good to hear your opinions on these, much appreciated.  :)

Took a couple of slightly better pics, in better light. I think the Ochre globe is also fairly early, its signed Mdina to the base in very small script, tried to capture it in a photo, hope its clear and readable. I would presume that the ochre globe is sometime before 72 and the blue greeny one is slightly earlier as suggested.

Always amazed at the close up internal detail of these globes especially in the light.

Thanks
Greg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »
That's Michael Harris' writing, Greg.
 :dance:
The ochre one is definitely early, early-early. I think likely earlier than the greeny blue one.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
 :hi: Sue. Thanks for the confirmation, I had hoped it was, but wasn't sure. I hadn't seen the script when buying as a picture wasn't available, this was the one that went astray in the post and also then stuck at customs!, purchased from overseas.

Interesting that it could possibly be earlier than the bluey/green globe. Are the majority of ochre globes thinly blown or is this just a characteristic that was used for Rosenthal..?

Thanks
Greg
 :thup:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 06:01:42 PM »
The ochre one is definitely early, early-early. I think likely earlier than the greeny blue one.

Not with a neck like that, it's too high. Look at the profile of the neck and rim, with the green globe the button rim sits right on the body rather standing up high like on the ochre globe. The higher the rim and the wider it gets then generally the later production is.

The green globe in shape is much like this one Sue gave me: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyMdinaGlass#5490048396067114674 while the neck on this amethyst and ochre globe is much taller: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyMdinaGlass#5484548837927530450

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand