No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opinions please - is this a crack?  (Read 2947 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Opinions please - is this a crack?
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 06:11:19 PM »
Thanks very much for all the responses.  Pics from the inside of the vase below.  Also just wanted to make it clear that I'm sure this was a genuine mistake and not an intention to deceive.  It can just about be felt with a fingernail in places, but only very faintly.

Toche Wayne.

As the saying goes "No-one is Perfect" and "We all make Mistakes" -- That Life's, and we are only Human.  We all make genuine mistakes. 

Look at me here  ;D.  Remember that Post where I "measured an item wrong" -- So of course, we can all make Mistakes.  But it is not part of the structure of this item.  I agree with bOBA that it looks like a Temperature Shock causing an internal fracture.

We have all *seen* when an Ice Cube cracks when put into a Drink -- I think (IMHO) that this looks the same......

Yes, Honest mistake do happen.  We are Human   

No intention to deceive.  Mistakes are just that -- Mistakes.  I couldn't measure right one day  ;D here either...  :24:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 07:06:12 PM »
Absolutely no doubt. There is no possible feature that would display like that, probably caused by washing in hot water and probably not even noticed by the washer-up!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 08:35:02 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's input with this.  The result seemed pretty convincing to me, but alas, the seller is now back to claiming the crack wasn't present before it was posted, which I don't really understand as it can clearly be seen in the picture she sent.  She is offering a partial refund as a "good will gesture", which just isn't acceptable.  Anyway, I've spent 3 weeks trying to reach a solution with the seller, so now it's time for an ebay claim... :X:

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 09:43:07 AM »
I think that people who value a few squid higher than honesty simply deserve to be treated thus.
Good luck, Wayne!  :X:
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
Hi Wayne,  do you have copies of the messages she sent agreeing to go with the majority vote?  If so, and they were all done through eBay message system, then do give eBay permission to look at your messages from the seller to verify that she agreed to go with the majority vote. 

If eBay insist you return the vase in order to get a refund,  do agree to do so, but only on the understanding that the seller pays the return postage as it was her mistake. 
Don't post it until you get agreement on that. 
This is the only way that we will get eBay to realise that it is unfair for the buyer to have to pay return postage on items misdescribed........I'm sure you know all that, but still felt it was worth mentioning it.

Good luck Wayne....so far, I have never lost an eBay claim..... :X:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 10:17:22 AM »
Thanks for the tips Rosie, yep got copies of the emails and they were done through ebay, so there shouldn't be any problems, plus once I filed the claim, the seller emailed me saying she will refund in full (once she has the funds) so hopefully that will be the end of it all!

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 10:34:55 AM »
Hi Wayne try putting it in a bowl of water you may be able to see better as with checking for a fine cased piece ???

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »
Absolutely a crack. http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/images/glassmessages/crack07.jpg shows nice little elliptical rings and that only happens when the glass crystallizes from a liquid to  a solid and one gets fractures called conchoidal which allowed primitive man to turn obsidian(volcanic glass) into razor sharp edged knives, arrowheads, etc.  Hot glass will not have any sign of a conchoidal fracture.  

Another easy way is to look at the crack from above and then from below - if they are identical the crack will have microscopic thickness and could not have been made by simply folding glass into itself - which we have all seen heaps of with paperweights over the years.

Good luck with getting your money back - I have just had a dispute with an Ebayer in the USA who sent me an IOW axehead with a ginornmous internal crack.  Foolishly I promptly sent it back and requested he refund the vase + postage.  He simply took it to some of his Ebayer mates and (surprise, surprise) they all said "What crack?".  What I ought to have done is take it to a glass blower here and have him/her do a Stat Dec. stating it was cracked - maybe you can do that simply near your own place.  Hard to argue with an independent opinion from an expert who has no axe to grind.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 12:27:44 PM »
Good luck Wayne. I am sure you will get your refund.

This is exactly why I always use a credit card through Paypal and never pay with Paypal funds. Any delays at all and your claim can be disputed through the credit card company that then pulls the funds from Paypal immediately,who then pulls from the seller instantly... even if it puts their paypal account into a negative balance......  This has always seemed to give Paypal a perspective that falls in line with mine.....  :-)

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »
Good luck Wayne. I am sure you will get your refund.

This is exactly why I always use a credit card through Paypal and never pay with Paypal funds. Any delays at all and your claim can be disputed through the credit card company that then pulls the funds from Paypal immediately,who then pulls from the seller instantly... even if it puts their paypal account into a negative balance......  This has always seemed to give Paypal a perspective that falls in line with mine.....  :-)

Craig

Hey, I didn't know that Craig....you see there is always something new to learn from each other.....wow, what a good way to deal....can you tell us how you do that please, and does it only cover purchases over a certain amount??
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand