No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: opaline/vitrified glass bowl for id ID = S & W 'Alabaster' base, unmatching lid  (Read 685 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
sold to me as a butter dish, with the top as shown  -  which I suspect has nothing remotely to do with the bowl.    Translucent, and with the inclusion of quite a few small bubbles  -  diameter is something like 6"/150mm.   The almost jade coloured foot has a good quality ground/polished pontil, and there is heavy wear showing on the flat - which would indicate some considerable age, probably.  Do people think this 'inset' rim means there was a purpose made lid originally??            I'm outside my area completely on 'opaline/vitrified/alabaster', but it certainly has some appearance of similarity with pieces shown in Manley  -  am I correct in thinking it may also look not unlike some Nason (Muranco)  -  with this almost pastel colouring??       Unfortunately, the inside shows some sickness/water staining, with a liquid level 'line' a little below the pinching of the rim.
Anyone like to commit themselves to an id and/or age :)  -  and thanks as always for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: opaline/vitrified glass bowl for id
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »
The lid does not seem to go with the lower half  - there seem to be two different techniques which is quite unlikely. The material is opaline, so it could be French or Italian - and it may have had a silver flat lid at one stage, now replaced with a pressed (yes?) Lid which might have started life as part of a coffee maker. Do check the lid carefully. Do I see pres seams??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 09:48:20 PM »
yes, you're quite right of course about the lid being pressed (two part mould I believe) - and I didn't comment on the lid, as I was convinced the two parts were un-related, and it was the bowl only that warranted interest (being a lot older than the lid - I'm sure).      It may well have been a butter dish with a metal lid as you suggest, and the French I believe made some of the best opaline.       Believe I'm correct in suggesting that the bowl would have been mould blown  -  then re-attached at the foot by a pontil rod  in order to cut/fire polish the rim  -  and finally snapped from the pontil rod so that the pontil 'mark' can be ground/polished.    I had wondered initially if the bowl might have been C19  -  but I suspect not.   

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:59:02 PM »

The base is a standard shape for a S&W lidded dish from the Alabaster range. The correct lid is missing, so you only have half the item I'm afraid. Ivo is quite right, pressed and wrongly matched.

There's a whole section on it in "The Crystal Years", where it explains that it originally began in 1914, but continued variously until about 1938 - so not C19th !!

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:24:27 AM »
thanks.......the moment I saw this at the boot sale, it seemed apparent that the two parts were very unrelated, but for £1. I couldn't resist what seemed a potentially interesting item.     In view of your comments regarding 'The Crystal Years', I have this morning now purchased a copy from Abe Books, so look forward to reading more about this material.       I have also now thrown the lid into the recycling box, although doubt very much that I will find the correct one at next Sunday's boot sale, especially as we have a member who is giving out the location to all and sundry ;) ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand