No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: black footed bowl for id.  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
black footed bowl for id.
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »
Have a distinct feeling that this is not what I first thought it might be  -  which was that underneath the dirt there lurked a piece of Scottish glass.   The almost peacocks feather swirling of bluey - blackish - reddish blotches led me astray.     After cleaning, the inside of the bowl appears too clean and scratch free, and the foot rim should have more wear if the piece had any real age - so I think it is modern - although shape wise it does have a pre war look.      The bowl appears to be cased in clear both sides of the colouring, and I think the black foot is also cased in clear, but not easy to see.     Height is about 5.5" and diameter is something like 8.5".    No marks that I can find, and I'm now really lost as to what its origins might have been, so grateful for any help or suggestions please :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: balck footed bowl for id.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »
What a delightful piece of glass.  :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: 

It surely reminds me of Vasart/Monart but has nothing on the Ysart glass site anything like it.  It will be intersting to see what Frank and Kevin H think.  Irrespective I reckon you have a cracking purchase.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 05:06:59 PM »
thanks for your positive thoughts Ross :)  -  but I guess I should have realized that the black pedestal foot was not quite right  -  however, you're quite right, it is indeed attractive.    What do you think of a Czechoslovakian origin  -  might that fit in with the black foot - just a suggestion you understand. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 06:29:55 PM »
Have you considered Graystan?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 07:14:01 PM »
I did look through Hajdamach's C20 Glass, Miller's and 'British Glass Between the Wars', but came away thinking that was not the right road to go down.      Regrettably, the inside of the bowl looks far too clean and unmarked to have been around long enough to be Graystan  -  but I'm the least knowledgable person in that area, so anything is possible.   Usually, when arriving home and cleaning a dirty piece of glass, the decades of wear become apparent  -  but with this piece it has only made it look a lot younger. :-\

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:16:36 PM »
Paul it reminded me of a vase I have that I am pretty sure is Czechoslovakian, either Kralik or Welz, however having checked the foot, it is hollow, and part of the vase, i.e. has a base to it, not a  rim on the base if you see what I mean.  It is not applied which yours is. But the decor looked vaguely similar in style.
It doesn't look right for Graystan to me  :-\..the foot doesn't look right specifically, but I can't comment on the decor.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:19:54 AM »
thanks m...........I was really taking a bit of a flyer on the Czech. comment.........however, there was some logic in my thought, insofar as if you look through Ruth A. Forsythe's book, black is a colour that the pre 1940 Czech. factories used not infrequently for stems and feet  -  plus some of the external decoration.    There is arguably some similarity, again with Czech. material, in the type of colour decoration of my bowl........this almost 'spatter/swirl' effect of distributing the colour thoughout the glass.     However, I'm still having trouble with the fact that my piece looks a tad too clean, but suppose it might have been little used.   (unfortunately there are a couple of flea bites on the rim).

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:48:34 AM »
Just wanted to say: What a lovely bowl, Paul!  :mrgreen:
Perhaps the lack of wear supports my own theory: grime and dust is great for
preventing your items to get scratched...  ;D
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 09:15:36 AM »
 :hi: Paul,
lovely, although not 'my' corner of interest

Does it glow?
 :sm:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 09:30:21 AM »
I'd steer completely away from anything to do with the Ysarts, Nazeing, Grey-Stan or Schneider - it's not decorated in any sort of style similar to any of them.
I think it looks fairly new. I may be completely wrong. :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand