No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Italian Glass Decanter  (Read 503 times)

Offline Waylander01

• Members
Italian Glass Decanter
« on: August 14, 2011, 01:41:00 AM »
Hello all

My first post on the forum, so hopefully I do everything right.

Attached is a nice coloured decanter (?) my wife and I bought at a recent antiques fair in Sydney, Australia.  Now I am more of a silver collector than a glass collector, but the piece really stood out at me. 

From the silver collar it appear Italian, from Milan specifically, post 1970.  Anyone else able to shed any light on the origins/history of the piece? I attach an overall picture, plus a picture of the base (showing it was a numbered piece and a siganture which I cannot dechiper!)

Thanks in advance

Regards

Waylander01

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Italian Glass Decanter
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »
 :hi:
Welcome to the gmb!
I'm afraid I can't make the signature out - a good trick to get it to stand out is to rub a little talcum powder (or cornflour) over the mark - it will go into the engraving, but can be wiped off the surrounding area - and a photo taken at a slight angle would get it to "jump out".

Your overall picture is still a little small to see properly (sorry, I'm not good at techno stuff to explain how to fix it).
Is the glass painted on the surface - or do the colours come from the glass itself?

The problem with bits of silver stuck onto glass is that it could have been applied at any time and any place after the glass was made - hallmarks do not neccessarily tell you anything about the glass at all.

>:D Another problem with bits of silver stuck onto glass is it attracts silver collectors and the price of the glass can go through the roof because of folk wanting the silver bits - but I'm only interested in the glass!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Waylander01

• Members
Re: Italian Glass Decanter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 03:07:08 AM »
Hi chopin-liszt

Many thanks for your response. 

I think I may have solved this one myself - I sent an email to someone I know who knows everything about Italian silver, who responded that the silver collar was made by Le Connaisseur du Livre di Giannone F. , Via dei Fontanili 24/A, Milano.  While ordinarily this would not mean that the pieces were related, the silver collar also features a very small signature (pressed into the silver) which is identical to the signature on the bottom of the glass decanter. 

Also, FYI, the glass has been painted with the colours.

Regards

Waylander01

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand