No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (only)... 8 Large Oval Indents. Please Check ??  (Read 1409 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
(only)... 8 Large Oval Indents. Please Check ??
« on: August 16, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »
 :hi: there:

Found this item, and not sure who made it.  I thought maybe it is Murano, or Czech .... but other than that, I have no ideas at all.  There are only 8 large indented Oval bubbles on it.  This was kinda hard to take pics of it.   It is either a Bowl or a 3-Rest Cigarette Ashtray.  Bottom unpolished, but good age wear.  Very thick, and heavy item.  Size is about 6 wide by 6.5 wide (as 2 sides are a bit longer) and about 2.5 inches tall.  Again very Heavy, and very thick glass. 

Anyone have any ideas, and I have been trying to google it, but not having any luck with the way I am trying to describe the indented bubbles -- or is there another term to use.  Are they Bubbles,  just indents, or con-caved bubbles ???

Any idea on the age?

Thanks for any info  :kissy:     Hope I found some Nice pieces here (and in other posts) that I found after on a little trip  :X:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: (only)... 8 Large Indented Bubbles (???) Please Check ??
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:14:56 PM »
Hi Rose.  Can't say I recognise your bowl, but the unpolished base makes me think China or Japan.  Seems to be a lot of Japanese glass cropping up lately with a Murano or Czech feel.  As for the bubbles, I'd maybe call them "dimples"?  They remind me of the Liskeard dimpled vases, although the base is all wrong for Liskeard.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:22:44 PM »
Hi Rose.  Can't say I recognise your bowl, but the unpolished base makes me think China or Japan.  Seems to be a lot of Japanese glass cropping up lately with a Murano or Czech feel.  As for the bubbles, I'd maybe call them "dimples"?  They remind me of the Liskeard dimpled vases, although the base is all wrong for Liskeard.

Thanks Wayne....I kinda thought of that too, but then I thought it just seemed to well made, and too heavy.  The wear is quite good on the bottom.  It is not sloppy made..............so that was why I was *leaning*  :usd: to a possible better maker.  I tell you, it is a very solid chunk of glass.  The top edges (not sure IF you can see it) even has some wear.  Like the ashtray was always placed upside down when not in use (turned over).  There are no chips anywhere, just lots of wear on bottom, and on each top rim

Dimples.....yes, never thought of that word either.  Thanks Wayne!!  :kissy:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 05:52:48 PM »
Japanese glass can be well made and that's definitely not new glass

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »
Rose:

Is the base unpolished or just heavily worn?  I've seen Murano with that much wear.  Also, when say "bubbles" do you mean a space surrounded by glass or indents in the glass open to the air?  The green in this piece made me think of Erickson glass from Ohio, but I can't recall seeing that shape from them.  Depending on your answers, I'd think Murano would be a good contender.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 02:00:29 AM »
Rose:

Is the base unpolished or just heavily worn?  I've seen Murano with that much wear.  Also, when say "bubbles" do you mean a space surrounded by glass or indents in the glass open to the air?  The green in this piece made me think of Erickson glass from Ohio, but I can't recall seeing that shape from them.  Depending on your answers, I'd think Murano would be a good contender.

David

The base (IMHO) is both unpolished, and heavy worn (as are the top edges) from maybe being turned upside down when not in use ??

The bubbles I refer to are the large oval *indents* that are open to the Air.  I was not sure how to describe this piece, so Sorry if I was wrong to call them bubbles.  Maybe the MOD should change the title to only 8 large oval Indents -- rather than calling them bubbles at all  :spls: :spls2: :pb: 

S - O - R - R - Y    :ho:

I will see IF I have a pic of the top side wear (not that that matters) but it *could* be possible with the item being flipped over when not in use.  It has got to have some age to it when both the bottom and the top have wear.  I will try some more photos too to best describe what I mean on the top and the bottom.  I have no idea where to look -- might take a look at Erickson Glass.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:00:03 AM »
Your piece is not Erickson.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »

Just some more pics.....of the indents, and the base....and the *wear* even on the top edges....like it was flipped over (lots) when not in use  ???  As there is lots of wear on the top edges (see the 2 pics) than on the bottom.....could that explain the less wear on the bottom?

As the wear on the top edges *might* mean something for the date to -- IF the owner of this DID flip in over all the time when not in use (like at a business) but that it was there to use --- if needed -- and in view if someone wanted to Smoke  :sm:.    As super lots of wear on all the top edges...I guess no everyone in the world keeps things sitting the correct way, and might just be a person that would flip in over when not is use. 

There are different people, with different habits of the world....I guess  :-\  Just thinking *outside-the-box* here...

Does this help any extra?? the wear on the top too ?

Thanks  :kissy:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 02:24:45 AM »
** Update ** New Info ** 4 years later **

I found a person that has another bowl like mine here but it is Amber in Color.  In order to try to get an ID - I did ask (and got) Permission to use their pics.  They too would like to know.

Appears to be the same.  The amber one is 6 inches across, and 2.5 inche high.  You will note the *polished base* on theirs.  Obviously the Green one I posted here HAS EXTREME wear on the bottom.

To me they look like a Match -- but my Green one was used real lots as a daily ashtray, where as the Amber one is much more Pristine!! 

Murano anyone??  Now seeing this other base ?? 

Thanks so much  ;)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Re: (only)... 8 Large Oval Indents. Please Check ??
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 07:33:28 PM »
See above for another sample -- different color -- Looks the same.

Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand