No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass sphere with loop and rainbow swirl - what is it?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Re: Glass sphere with loop and rainbow swirl - what is it?
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 07:09:35 PM »
Right enough Frank.  Quite a variety of lampwork glass rings on Etsy, and a few similar in form to mine.  Oh well  :-X  Rather a boring result.

Appreciate everyone's input.

Nancy
Nancy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »
There are a few beadmakers and quite a few lampworkers that also make beads that fall into the very exciting category. It is a skill that takes a small amount of training and a minimal amount of equipment. What makes the difference is of course, as with any glass, the creativity that is applied. Check out Rachel Elliot - an important Scottish glass artist doing some wonderful things in the smallest of 'afforable' packages... she sells on Etsy but you can short cut the hunt here http://www.rachel-elliott.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
Yes, I agree about lampwork being exciting and very beautiful too sometimes.  I do a fair bit of beading and use a lot of lampwork beads.  It amazes me the amount of detail that can go into them, and it always seems a shame that they are just hanging from a bracelet, necklace etc as you have to see them close up to really appreciate them.

I am posting one last picture.  I DO think this is quite beautiful, it just makes an ugly ring.  My mum agrees!  I would have thought that whoever made this would have made the band round rather than U shaped.  This photo gives a better idea of why it seems an unlikely ring, unless it is just not very well made . . .
Nancy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 08:24:52 PM »
... unless it is just not very well made . . .

Seems to be the case. But as long as it can still give pleasure....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand