No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: best glue for glass?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: best glue for glass?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 08:09:25 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much, I don't know how Araldite Rapid Ceramic & Glass performs over time, it may well be alright. Yellowing/ discolouration can take several years to show. For particularly valuable items I'd recommend using a conservation grade epoxy such as Hyxtal NYL-1. It is fairly expensive and difficult to work with as it's not sticky like a glue, you have to support the item with an adhesive tape or similar and apply the product with a syringe, allowing it to wick into the cracks.

If sending a piece to a restorer, it's worth checking what adhesive/ filler they will use. I've seen several bits of Lalique with what were supposedly professional repairs where the resin used to fill chips has discoloured over time.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 08:13:27 PM »
:24: hmm, now would I be able to swing that on a contemporary piece of glass  ;D
m

Trade term is 'ageing'

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 08:21:23 PM »
aah Steven, this stuff wasn't sticky either....it was like mixing two drops of water together, frankly it was a complete nightmare, sliding around all over the place.  In the end I stood there like a statue, holding it together for about 15minutes till I thought I was safe, shouting at all and sundry (kids) not to dare come near me  ;D  And actually I'd never sell it repaired anyway, so it was more for me to ensure it didn't fall apart again.
m

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 05:52:14 AM »
Thanks all for the info. I'll go to SDM Leyland tomorrow and see what I can find. Slightly off the glass topic but by chance does anyone know the best glue for outdoor terracotta pots?
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »
Terracotta glue (Outdoors)  :wsh: