No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple Azurene Coach bolt pontil?  (Read 2486 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Purple Azurene Coach bolt pontil?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 06:16:49 PM »
It does look like the IoW coachbolt, still don't think it's theirs though. ;D

Saying that, my interest in IoW glass pretty much dissipates with the arrival of Azurene and it looks like they did make Azurene with gold leaf only.

John

There you go!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 06:24:48 PM »
but the base colour and the shape aren't right are they?
I couldn't find a reference to a purple base colour azurene :-\
Have alum bay been making gold leaf glass, I think they have....
I also had an alum bay glass vase with the stuck on bit of blobby glass that could have looked like a coachbolt pontil mark.
I do wonder if this is Alum Bay glass perhaps?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »
It's not like any Alum Bay I have ever seen and I tend to see that everywhere. The Isle of Wight is a popular destination in these parts.

I don't think the colour was ruled out. Just the shape, pontil mark and the purely gold leaf.  ;D

I suppose it is possible that in their experimental early phase they tried out a different shape and experimented with some gold leaf. I would like to think it was possible anyway. :)

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 10:17:01 AM »
Hi,
The colour is not an IoWSG colour, the glass itself looks far too thick, the rim looks wrong, even when it was simply gold leaf used it was more diffuse and all over the piece.

The "coach-bolt" pontil mark was achieved by putting the blob of glass on the bottom and quite literally using a coach-bolt head to round the inside of it. There just happened to be a big metal coach-bolt lying around.

I was thinking the way the leaf is applied it more along the lines of the foiling Iestyn Davies used at Stuart Strathearn after he left IoWSG in the Ebony and Gold range - but Stuart Strathearn have polished rims and the black is made fron a different shade of deep purple. (or is it red? sorry, a bit brain-fried).
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 12:56:08 PM »
Me too, similar to the way gold leaf was sparsely used at Stuart Strathearn (presumably due to cost) but it don't look like theirs either. The black of SS was so deep it really looks black rather than purple or dark blue with a strong light behind it.

Another wild guess would be Shetland Glass but these days I wonder about anything that might vaguely fit the bill, as we see so few examples of their work it's easy to imagine anything might be. ::)

John

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 01:05:15 PM »
Thanks for the thought given to this vase. I will be happy to keep it whoever made it and it fits well into my miscellaneous shelf.

I really should invest in the Mdina/IoW book then I can stop asking stupid questions. :)

Although I may fit in another about a frosted Axe head in the near future. ;) (fish sorry)

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 01:33:51 PM »
I have a frosted (Said-shape) Fish - if you have one, it makes the second known to me.  :thup:
It's just plain clear frosted glass, a bit reminiscent of sea-glass overall, as the glass itself is slightly greenish.

The frosting shows up every tiny flaw and bubble and bit of frit and every tiny near-scratch, frosting does nothing for it at all. Just my personal opinion.  :P
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 02:01:35 PM »
To be honest I am not sure which shape is which. It is bluey green (although these are the two colours that my colour vision is not 100%) frosted with a crizzle effect inside. Looks stunning on the window sill. It's not signed by Said just marked Mdina faintly.

Unfortunately I am dog sitting away from home today but I will start a new thread with it tomorrow evening as I would like to know more about it.

― Henry Ford

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »
Mine isn't crizzled! However, frosting is well post-Harris.
Said's Fish shape tends to have straight sides, or be in that lovely triangular wedgy shape. (I'll try to find a pic.)
Michael Harris Fish tend to be softly rounded, or the quite different, smaller early triangular shape. suppose I should keep it for your new thread. :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 01:07:44 AM »
Chris Dodds is another that made gold leaf vases and he did use heavy glass. But I guess so did many others that used this old technique!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand