No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: green fruit bowl with green mat glass Art Deco looks with metal any IDs please  (Read 425 times)

Offline lmj

• Members
my bowl is 23cm across 12cm high and is a darker green than photo depicts the dots are raised as are the outside lines could this British and am i right about the age? Lynn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Hello Lynn  -  the answer is yes, it could be British  -  but might also be from the Continent of Europe  -  so again, have you tried all of Pamela's encyclopedic collections and Masterbuchs??   Age wise you are also possibly correct  -  I'd guess somewhere between 1930 and 1950.      According to some of the more knowedgable people here, it was not uncommon for the glass to come from one factory, and be married to a metal pedestal from a completely difference source.        Not easy to see from a picture often, and it doesn't look quite the right green for uranium  -  but have you checked for a 'glow'.    Do you in fact have a u.v. torch?? :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lmj

• Members
would i call the matt glass as opaque/etched/Vaseline ? thanks Lynn

Offline Paul S.

• Members
my excuse - should I get it completely wrong - is that I can't see the picture very clearly ;)...........but, opaque/etched/vaseline it is almost certainly not.    Would imagine that the textured surface of the mould was such that it has produced a frosted finish on the underside of the glass (the top side appears shiny to me) - thus creating a translucent effect (i.e. allowing the transmission of some light, but in a diffused way).       This shade of green looks wrong if there had been some uranium present - and as you probably know, the only certain way to prove this is to use the u.v. torch.    Do have one?

Offline lmj

• Members
Cheers Paul..frosted is what i will use,and i have tested the glass with my uv pen which at the moment is working very well for something inexpensive and Joe 90 looking ! and no it is not uranium glass.Thanks again Lynn

Offline Paul S.

• Members
great Lynn, now all we need is an attribution..................quote today from lmj......"something inexpensive and Joe 90 looking !"..........sorry, I'm too young to remember that ;)

Offline lmj

• Members
  :chky: you'll just have to google Joe 90...Lynn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand