No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early English 18th century glass, pre 1745 Drawn Trumpet ??  (Read 1038 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Early English 18th century glass, pre 1745 Drawn Trumpet ??
« on: September 12, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »
Hi all
Ive recently found myself more and more attracted to early drinking vessels although I dont know a great deal about them.
Ive picked a few up recently and i think this may be a good one.
From the research ive done i think its Early English 18th century glass, pre 1745 Drawn Trumpet.
The bowl and stem are made from one gather and the foot is added as a second piece, conical folded under foot with a heat treated (i think) snapped off pontil.
15.2cm tall 6.7cm rim diameter, 7.8cm foot diameter

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hjE72EDSsOKRYwFF1rpuYQ?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dgvuHOcvZ2Mr7NPBkVMgwg?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/D3JebtvEdDAFfCCVIgKRog?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/68tpG6iwRD5YnpiO1alVWw?feat=directlink
many thanks
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Early English 18th century glass, pre 1745 Drawn Trumpet ??
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »
Hi ,
          yep, a drawn trumpet wine glass,1st 1/2 of the 18th c. lol  be careful how attracted you become to early drinking glasses or you could end up smitten with the deadly bug , the next glass having to be better than the last ,  oooooo!!!!  a slippery road to spending lots of money,but like all areas of glass collecting its obsessively addictive and great fun.

ps  all glasses deserve to be used at least once by the new owner  :wsh:

cheers
            Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:57:49 PM »
Many thanks Peter. I got quite a bargain with these i think. Three boxes of glasses including 10 late georgian panel-moul​ded ale glass, a signed whitefriars jubilee tankard, 2 victorian scent bottles, Plus another I think Later Georgian Bubble stem glass which in my picasa album the last 4 pictures.
My favourite right now is this one
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8PADOs3K2kDrcDxyqwGkBQ?feat=directlink
It feels lovely to hold really heavy and fabulous qualitly, I think its a victorian Rummer.
Thanks again for the confirmation. Are there any books which you would recommend for learning more about early drinking glasses
michelle
Here is a link to the whole album
https://picasaweb.google.com/112538457954992188877/AntiqueVictorianGlass?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:43:52 PM »
hope Peter doesn't mind me contributing to this one Michelle..........your 'favourite one right now' shows a design of circular lenses called printies, and these may be moulded or cut.........I think the cut examples look better.    Would agree with Victorian, and probably c. 1880 ish.    This style was a common pub type glass (U.K.) and some are really quite tall, and I actually thought they were flower vases at first :pb:    I don't think yours will have a gadget mark  -  more likely a ground/polished pontil  -  but I could be wrong.       Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything specific on C19 drinking glasses (not substantial anyway)  -  because collectors are, of course obsessed with the period 1720 to the end of the Georges (1830 ish) - and the obvious book for the whole period is  L. M. Bickerton's Eighteenth Century Drinking Glasses (one of the Antique Collectors Club offerings).       As Peter says, these this are what real history is all about, and it is true, they do become an obsession  -  just have a look at ebay where you can pay more than K2 for some examples. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »
apologies Michelle............the correct full title of the book is.........'Eighteenth Century English Drinking Glasses - An Illustrated Guide'.          I'm not sure of your expression 'heat treated' ???

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 01:55:04 PM »
 and if you watch out for the Bonham's sale in November you may well see a fine goblet sell for £100K plus.
   As for books , yes Bickerton is a great coffee table job with lots of illustrations but for information I would suggest , Barrington Haynes , 'Glass through the Ages ' and Investing in Georgian Glass by Ward Lloyd ,as starters. I called in on Ward last week while glass buying in Holland ,though now almost blind still loves a good chat and the latest tittle tattle of the trade.
Cheers,
 Peter

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »
Many thanks for that Paul, will try and get hold of a copy. I have virtually nothing in the way of books on Early drinking glasses.
When i say heat treated, the pontil is snapped off but not sharpe, like its been heated up so the glass melts enough to make it a smoother finnish. Its not ground or polished
michelle

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »
Crikey dont think i will be bidding on that one Peter, ever so slightly out of my league.
I will try my luck on ebay and amazon see if i can pick up some of those books.
Its just so amazing that something so delicate and so well used can survive so long in such good condition. I am somewhat enamoured with these glasses right now.
michelle

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:45:24 AM »
Michelle, there are several copies of Barrington Haynes' Glass Through the Ages  on eBay atm... I picked mine up for around £1.75 last year - it's well worth having!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 08:37:15 PM »
hate to be a book snob, but I wouldn't normally want a reference book to come in the form of a paperback  -  but lo and behold all I can see on Abe Books are paperbacks.  Was this thing issued originally as a hardback anyone know?    thanks :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand