No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut glass table setting of comport and six matching plates  (Read 478 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Cut glass table setting of comport and six matching plates
« on: September 15, 2011, 02:39:55 PM »

Set:  w. 9lb 5½oz 4237g.

Comport:  h. 7¼" 18.3cm, d. 8¾" 22.0cm,
  foot d. 4¼" 10.8cm, w. 2lb 8½oz 1156g.

Plates:  d. 8½" 21.5cm, av. w. 1lb 2oz 513g,
  w. range 1lb ½oz 471g – 1lb 4¼oz 576g.

Click any image to enlarge.

This is a complete table set of a comport and six matching plates, all hand made and cut.   All seven pieces have ground and polished flat bases with a good cut 16-point star.   The stem and foot of the comport are hollow with one continuous bubble, so appear to have been made as one piece.   I think everything else is fairly obvious from my photographs and measurements.

Help sought with virtually everything.   What was the set for?   Maker?   Terminology — for example I've seen that double ogee with a stepped notch in between rim elsewhere — so is there a proper name for it?   Dates?   Reference sources?   I've looked in Silber & Fleming (circa 1890) with no luck at all.   Is the amber colour unusual?

Thanks for your interest,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand