No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vintage stemmed glass with flake cut and stepped bowl and fully cut stem.  (Read 706 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer

Click any image to enlarge.

H. 4½" 11.3cm, d. 2½" 6.7cm, foot d. 2¾" 7.0cm, w. 7oz 203g.   Pontil scar neatly ground out and polished.   Lovely cutting striations on the flake cuts.

This really feels good to hold and drink from.   Any information welcomed.

Thanks for your interest,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Vintage stemmed glass with flake cut and stepped bowl and fully cut stem.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:35:59 PM »
were it not for the cut round knop, I'd had said it was a second half C19 flute cut, bucket shaped, rummer.     But instead I'll go for an early C20 quality piece, intead.   The foot appears quite flat, and as you know the older a piece then (usually) the more domed the foot.        Since you don't mention any stones, bubbles, horizontal striations on the bowl etc., then don't think it is Victorian.      You also don't mention wear Bernard, and as you know I'm a great believer in using wear as a dating guide ;D     I take it you have looked through Reynolds??  -  and am assuming it is completely unmarked.    How would you describe the colour of the glass  -  to me it looks quite white, which again is a criteria for C20 dating.         Sorry I can't be of any real help. :)           Let's see what Peter thinks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
Thanks, Paul.   I'm inexperienced with such items, not really knowing what information is needed.

The glass is quite colourless, with no faults on the bowl and stem, and very little wear on the foot.   The foot has concentric striations on the underside, with a blemish about halfway between the edge and the centre that looks like a very light gadget mark.

That's all I can add.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:37:12 PM »
Fatal to generalize, but.....the older a glass is then I get the impression (provided it is genuine) that it is easier to date or attribute to some style or other.    Unfortunately, some characteristics i.e. the ground/polished pontil, have been universal for so long that they don't really help   -  they've been around from 1780 ish to the present time almost.    Likewise cut flutes and bucket bowl shapes seem have been design features for a very long time - particularly the flutes which appear on all sorts of glasses including tumblers etc.        However, some aspects, like colour can be very helpful, together with the striations and blips etc. on the bowl, and if indeed it has a gadget mark then date wise it should be somewhere between c.1870 and c.1900  ish - certainly a little earlier than I had originally thought.      However, am I correct in thinking that a glass shows either a gadget mark (on more utilitarian pieces) OR a ground/polished pontil mark, but cannot show both??         Have you looked with the torch to see if there is any 'manganese green', and would be interesting to know if your glass 'rings', and I believe the description of your example places it within the group called 'rudimentary' stemmed glasses.
Had your glass a simple bladed knop, then I would have said early C19 (almost without hesitation ;D)  -  there are literally, shed loads of C19 rummers with bladed knops or annular ring knops, but not cut ones.                Can't think why I should have made reference to Reynolds, total rubbish.
So, could be last quarter of the C19  -  but that cut knop remains to confuse  -  and the colourless glass seems to indicate no great age.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand