No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Optic 12-ribbed amber vase with applied handles and decoration for Id please  (Read 728 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer

Click any image to enlarge.

H. 5½" 14.3cm, d. approx. 5" 12.5cm, w. 1lb 3oz 546g.   Rim neatly ground and polished.   No pontil mark.   Plenty of genuine base wear.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your interest,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Have a similar piece in amber with blue 'trailing' I think Boulton and Mills were proposed as a possible maker.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Found a picture....

Offline Bernard C

• Members
Keith — I found your original query here, and noticed that Ivo had identified it as Service George Sand by Cristallerie de Portieux, Portieux, France.   I've had a browse around mainly French websites, looking at examples of this range.

My conclusion is that there are too many similarities between Service George Sand by Cristallerie de Portieux and my vase (and yours) for them to be likely to be anything else.   Note the same optic rib mould and the ground and polished rim, for example.   I've not found such applied decoration on examples on French websites, but it seems to me likely that such pieces were made for export, and may not be well known in France.

As for date, it's difficult.   I'm with "early C20", going on the style and base wear.

Finally, Keith, I'm always very wary of old unsupported Boulton & Mills attributions, and tend to regard them as a pompous way of saying little more than "Don't know", or, to be generous, "possibly Stourbridge".

Grateful thanks, Keith and Ivo.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I don't think Ivo actually identified it; rather he provided another option based on colour.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
Christine — Thanks, you're right, Ivo just suggested Portieux.   I've identified my vase to my satisfaction.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand