No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does anyone recognise any of these?  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Tabatha

• Members
Does anyone recognise any of these?
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 09:50:24 PM »
Thanks Lustrousstone  :)

Ive been looking for glass with the same pattern on, this has the same pattern, but do glassmakers use the same pattern as each other? Also, this glass is really dull, so does that mean its colourless? (dont know if I have the right word for it  :oops: ). Thanks for your help, Sarah

It wont let me link to the right page, but if you click on the link and search " 80.547/596  " . Its the first one in the list of searches

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/frames.shtml?http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=34666

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 10:14:19 PM »
By really dull do you mean cloudy? It's clear/colourless glass but it should be shiny. If its cluody inside and out sounds like its been in the dishwasher. Scroll to the bottom of this page and see if this is the same pattern http://www.cloudglass.com/r18671890.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 10:30:10 PM »
I dont think its cloudy, just dull. Its never been in a dishwasher (only got my first one of those last year). It was my great grandmothers and its been in a cupboard for the last 30 years (I think it needs to head back in that cupboard  :lol:). I cant describe it very well, its looks like bottle glass to me - flat. Perhaps its because the glass is so thick (nearly 1/2 cm thick (the base is even thicker)). Thanks, Sarah

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 10:57:06 PM »
I think it could be Davidson hobnail glass, like in your link, that seems to be quite dull too.  :)  Which one it could be though I havent a clue, there seem to be different types of Davidson hobnail on ebay, that dont look like this one.  I think I will pop that one back in the cupboard and forget about it again . Thanks for your help, Sarah

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 10:58:40 PM »
It's possibly worth more than you think if it is undamaged and Davidson, it may just be that it's old glass. Let's see if anyone else has any comments

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 11:30:41 PM »
Thanks Lustrousstone,

It isnt in perfect condition - It has a tiny rough spot on the inner edge of the rim and Im not sure if it has a scratch line or maybe a crack in the bottom. It is on the inside of it on the bottom, but when you turn it over and look at the bottom it hasnt come through to the other side. And there is a brown mark in the glass on the inside of the base. Dont know what that is.

I'll do a few more searches and if I cant find anything or no one knows anything on it then its going back in the cupboard and hopefully it will be forgotten about for another few years  :lol: . Thanks for your help, you've been great. Sarah  :)

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 11:05:00 AM »
I've got several of these with silver lids - one is identical hobnail pattern.  It's a dressing table jar.  Can't post a pic at the moment as away from home (babysitting new granddaughter   :D )
Leni

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006, 11:16:02 AM »
Hi Leni, thanks for posting  :) . Is yours just as dull as my one? It looks like bottle glass (?) only way I can describe it, and the thick base has a green sort of tinge to it.  Do you know who made yours? Thanks, Sarah  :)

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006, 11:24:42 AM »
One of mine is quite dull.  I have a small collection, some of which are cut and some pressed glass.  I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember which the hobnail one is  :oops:  :roll:   I guess I just collect too much!   :wink:

I am not sure of any of the makers, but might be able to tell the age from hallmarks on those with solid silver lids.  Will look on Monday when we get home  :D
Leni

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 11:34:10 AM »
Thanks Leni  :)

I think this little pot could be pressed (got seams down the side)? Would be great if you could have a look at yours next week for me. Thanks for your help, Sarah  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand