No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Small Glass Vase Dartington Perhaps? Please Help.....  (Read 474 times)

Offline charliepedro

• Members
Unusual Small Glass Vase Dartington Perhaps? Please Help.....
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »
Hi,

I've had this little vase for years and have always wondered who made it. It reminds me of some Dartington FT pieces in terms of shape and construction but in all honesty I have no clue. It has a pontil scar to the base and the texture of the main body has a sort of hammered metal effect, if you know what I mean...? Hopefully my pics will supersede my inability to describe in technical terms :)
It weighs 350gr -stands 3.5'' - base 3 x 3'' - rim diameter 4''.

Hope someone can help. Thanks, Charlene  :-\

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Unusual Small Glass Vase Dartington Perhaps? Please Help.....
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:43 PM »
Have checked 'Dartington Glass - The First Twenty Years'  and certainly not there  -  and doesn't seem to be in Vigier and Pina's 'Smoke & Ice' (Sandinavian clear glass).  So, sorry, unable to help at the moment. :)     Is the pontil scar polished and with some degree of quality?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline charliepedro

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 11:08:56 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply and time looking for me :) Perhaps its just a something-and-nothing modern piece then....gawd knows? The pontil scar is not rough to the touch but definitely hasn't been polished to any extent - perhaps this pic will help?

Cheers, Charlene  ;)

Offline charliepedro

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 11:11:15 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:27:21 AM »
from what I'm seeing, don't believe the red piece is the same as yours, but would like to have seen images from different angles to feel more positive.    I'm having trouble understanding your picture of the 'pontil' - it looks odd to me.     If possible, try taking again a few inches further away and, importantly, try to bounce the light off the base area  -  so that the 'pontil' mark is highlighted.        In your picture, the extent of the grinding appears very small for the pontil scar - and I'm wondering if your piece is in fact a mechanically mould blown item.       See the way that the interior of the base is 'humped' between the corners.   

Pontil marks indicate the use of a pontil iron i.e. hand blown/made (not machine made)  -  and it was to the pontil iron that the piece is transferred after blowing.      It is after removal from the 'pontil iron' that a roughness remains, and it is removal of this rough area that gives us the concave pontil mark.     I'm not really seeing a circular depression on the base of yours.   But maybe the picture is unclear  -  with clear glass, it can sometimes improve the definition of images if a black background is used. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand