No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: V.Large & long ribbed and dotted pressed glass bridge on feet assume for flowers  (Read 1835 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This is pretty unusual as far as I can see as I've not been able to find out anything about it nor a similar item - although that may just be my searching skills  :-[
Does anyone have a clue on this please?
It's chipped and bashed about and I don't think it is new by any stretch, but filled with short stemmed flowers I think it might look good on the Christmas table - I'm assuming it's for flowers ?
Many thanks for looking and for any ideas forthcoming :sun:
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neilh

• Members
I don't know who did that particular posy trough but you can see another in a heart shape at the top of this page

http://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/molineaux-webb-designs-by-date/molineaux-webb-1887-1892

Go back one to the page for 1885 and you can see a castle & ramparts posy trough set.

http://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/molineaux-webb-designs-by-date/molineaux-webb-1885

Maybe yours is also of a similar date?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Neil  :hiclp: thank you for pointing that page out  :) I went to that site, and had a look through what I thought were all the pics - I hadn't realised that 'Registered Designs' would include pics, I just thought it would be design numbers so didn't think to click on it  :-[
Well, I can't say for sure, but do you think the heart looks as though it may be the same pattern?  the dots and the ridges/ribs?
Thanks again for your help.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Would seem to be Edward Moore  -  see Hajdamach 'British Glass 1800 - 1914', page 350  -  what do you think m. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Oh Paul , thank you for looking for me -  :cry: I haven't got that one, I've only the later one.  It's on my hit list, but is going to be a wait unfortunately (maybe Christmas if I can find one).
Does it give a date at all please?  and thank you for sharing.  I do appreciate it.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've had a quick look round and it seems that Davidson bought many of Edward Moore's moulds.  So could it also be Davidson then if it matches?
Many thanks
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
yes, you could be correct, possibly.           I had in fact already typed the following, so will let it stand.

hope I don't get into copyright trouble for quoting, but here goes................the caption to the illustation says........"Two pages of designs for pressed glass by Edward Moore published in the Pottery Gazette 1st December 1888."
So presumably registered either on, or prior to that date.          The illustration shows a variety of similar pillar designed shapes, for smallish to medium posy troughs, boxes, tricorn containers, plus two different sized swans.

Can add that............."Pressed glass by the Moore factory does not carry a trade mark, and there is some confusion about whether the Webb registration diamonds appear on the later Moore pressings".
This factory was, apparently, destroyed completey by fire on 4th July 1891, although did restart the following May.     After the final closure of the Moore factory in 1913, it would seem that all the moulds were again transferred, this time to the Davidson factory.

Hope this of interest. :)

Offline neilh

• Members
Looks like there was a rush to make these things in the 1880s then. Just checked the Hajdamach book and I see Moore did a swan as well, just like Molineaux Webb and Burtles & Tate around the same time...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you both so very much!  I really really appreciate your help and information.  This is way outside anything I know about so it's very helpful and I shall go and investigate further if I can.
I have to say it's quite a cute piece, I think it will look great used on the table and by candlelight.
Forgot measurements - it is 11 7/8th" long by 2" wide by 4 3/8th" high.

m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand