No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please Help Identify green garniture set with hand-painted decoration  (Read 472 times)

Offline traver

• Members
Hello Everyone...

We were given some glassware a few years ago and told it was of some value.  We are now downsizing and must dispose of some items.  I have no idea if the pieces we were given are of value or not and am unable to identify any "maker's marks" on the pieces.  I was hoping that some member of this forum could help me in identifying/evaluating the pieces.  The pieces are 13 and 17 inches tall.
Please see attached pictures...(high resolution images are available if required).

NOTE:  The decorative images are "raised" above the surface of the glass...I assume this means they were hand painted.

I have very little knowledge of glassware and any help would be greatly appreciated.  

I thank you in advance for your time.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Please Help Identify
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
Hello traver, Welcome to the Board, and thank you for sharing such prettily decorated glass with us. :)
Also, what lovely clear photos!
This is not my area of glass, and I am sure other members who are more familiar with this type will be along soon to help you.
In the meantime, my thoughts are with Bohemian glass, So you might like to be researching that area whilst you wait for others to reply.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Please Help Identify
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 06:06:23 PM »
Rosie is right. What you have is a Bohemian set known as a garniture. People stuck them on their mantlepieces and sideboards. Very unusual to find a complete one; they usually get split up. Datewise probably late Victorian to early Edwardian. These were handpainted, often by homeworkers including children. Sometimes the glass manufacturers had them decorated; sometimes "refiners" bought them in for decorating. You are unlikely to find a manufacturer, as there were many Bohemian glass manufacturers and decorators. Your set may be made of uranium glass; you can tell when it glows a very bright green under a UV light.

Value is difficult: a full set is good; the painting is quite good but not excellent without too much loss of paint or gilding; if they are uranium glass that adds to the value. Postage will require three parcels. It all depends where you want to sell.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline traver

• Members
Re: Please Help Identify green garniture set with hand-painted decoration
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »
Thank you Rosie and Christine

Its fascinating to now have some idea of what these pieces are....I really knew nothing!

We do need to sell them (no space as I mentioned)....could either of you suggest a suitable venue for the selling process or indeed a very rough range of what value might be??

Thanks again

Traver

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand