No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anglo Irish Glass I thought, but could be American?  (Read 2331 times)

Offline eglass

• Members
Anglo Irish Glass I thought, but could be American?
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:55:22 AM »
Hi folks!

I haven't visited here in a long time, I hope you all are well!

Found a pretty neat piece I think, at the estate sale of the fellow who ran the Santa Fe Opera. (NM, USA)
He was quite a collector, and had tons of European glass, mainly English.

This piece is flint, about 9" tall, and 6.5" wide - nice rolled rim, and the lid has that hollow bulbous "mushroom" lid.
Lots of wear on the bottom.

I guess I'm just looking for a nod from those of you who know about this type of glass. It's the first piece I've
seen outside of my British Glass book, lol.

Thanks!

Kelli

I hope this link takes you to my gallery....

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10123&pos=1

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Anglo Irish Glass I think, but could use confirmation :)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:27:13 PM »
Hi Kelli, good to see you back. This is a lovely piece, I have no idea who it might be by (but someone else probably will have) but I just wanted to ask if we could include it in the 2012 glass calendar as it's such a nice piece? If you have larger images that we could use that'd be super. Thanks!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 09:03:34 PM »
Anne, wow!

Well, sure, that would be wonderful! And then you have to let me know where I can buy a calendar, lol!

I still have the piece, so I will take some high res. photos of it for you. :)

Thanks!

Kelli

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:33:57 AM »
Thanks Kelli, received safe and sound. It's a free download calendar that we do every year on the board for our members. 
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
Thanks Anne, glad they came through okay. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 08:47:50 PM »
very nice piece Kelli  -  attractive with the curved mitres and cross-hatched strawberry diamonds - and although Irish isn't my forte, I'll tell you what little I do know, and then we can hope an expert comes in. :)
The rolled over top does seem to have been an Irish speciality, and although the height is o.k. for a salad bowl, the diameter is too small, so we are left with a suggestion of a lidded jar or lidded sweetmeat (besides which the salads didn't have lids).     However, that doesn't automatically make it Irish, and I think it would be a rash person who said categorically it was.      I assume that your title is suggesting that you think it was made by the English in Ireland??
Lidded jars/sweetmeats in these approximate sizes were made very commonly in Britain/Eire and on the Continent of Europe between 1810 and 1830, although the rolled over top might suggest it wasn't Continental.
The stepped foot is o.k. for the period  -  is yours moulded or cut do you know?  -  and we'd like to see a picture please of the underside of the foot, as the characteristics of the star can help to date these pieces.          Do you know if it is a lead glass composition? - have you flicked it to get a ring :)    Are there any stones in the glass?
Having said all that, there are C20 copies of the early C19 originals  -  and these would appear brighter and whiter than the slightly lead coloured originals.     I'm thinking 1920's now, and a piece even from that date might show enough wear to make you think it was a lot older.            I'm not suggesting it is definitely one period or the other, but these factors can help to reach a conclusion.

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 09:07:12 PM »
Hi Paul!

Thanks so much for your input, and helping me figure out a little more about this piece. :)

It is cut, and I will upload a couple more photos of the foot, top and bottom, so you can get a better idea of that part of it. As far as composition, it rings like a church bell when "pinged" with my finger....sounds like what they call "flint" glass here in the US.

I'm totally open to suggestions, since like I mentioned this is the first piece of this type I've ever seen in person. I did a little digging on the web as well as in my British Glass book and a couple of other references on "Old Glass - European and American" and of course now am totally confused, ha. I may never know WHO, but it's nice to get an idea of where and when. I had pretty much assumed that it was a "Sweetmeat" based on some similarly cut/sized pieces that I saw in collector's galleries online.

Photos added to the gallery:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=948

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:09:10 PM »
Oh, I forgot to address one question - I don't see any stones in the glass, or bits of ash, and the glass is extremely clear.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 10:11:54 AM »
thanks for the extra pictures Kelli.    I have taken the liberty of adding two of my own, showing different sized lidded sweetmeats, really to illustrate the difference in colour between something that is well over 200 years old, and a piece this is perhaps only half that age, or younger.     
The piece on the right is the real thing - typical English Regency period of about 1800, and having a very definite soft lead coloured hue.          The other smaller example is much whiter and brighter, and the sort of colour that you would not expect to see until much later in the C19.    In fact I think this one dates to somewhere in the early C20, possibly.
As far as the star cut goes, I understand that earlier styles showed wider/broader arms, and in fact each mitre was formed by two separate cuts - thus giving, often, an unequal symmetry to the points.     This can be seem clearly in the second of my pictures, where the points in the top of the picture show clearly the lop-sided shapes.    Stars cuts that are 'too good to be true' and with finer more narrow arms are usually much later.             In the second picture you will also see bubbles and stones in the foot.

Contrary to what you might think, genuine old pieces often have moulded pedestal type feet (sometimes with a hollow underside) - almost slightly crude in looks  - paradoxically supporting a beautifully cut urn shaped body. 
Please understand that I'm the least expert on this sort of glass, but my conclusion regarding your example would be..........
the colour is bright and very white  -  no stones or ash  -  quite finely cut star pattern.............suggesting a more modern piece from somewhere in the late C19 or C20.

For what it's worth my opinion is that this is either British or Continent of Europe - but not possibly Irish.

Your use of the word 'flint' as terminology for lead glass will probably confuse most people this side of the pond ;)            Correctly, in Europe, 'flint' was used historically to describe clear glass which, instead of having sand as its main constituent, used intstead crushed flint stones.     If you have access to Newman's dictionary you can read a very good descripiton of why the expression 'flint glass' is a misnomer for C19 and C20 lead glass - too long for me to include here.
Historically, I think, flint stones provided a cleaner form of silica than using available sand, and saved importing pebbles from the Italians  -  although presumably since it is all silica then the melt temperatue would be the same (just depends on the type of flux).
It is more correct to now describe the pieces of glass which we have been discussing as simply lead crystal.

However, Kelli, your piece is very attractive and very worth keeping, and I just wish there were more folk on the GMB who might perhaps add something to your request :)

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »
Paul,

Ahhh! What a difference in the coloring of the glass - your photos have really helped me in my sleuthing on this piece. Along with the differences in the treatment of the foot, the clarity of the glass leads me to believe that I should be looking more at early American makers, from near Pittsburg, perhaps Bakewell Pears or similar. They employed many Irish and English glass cutters, which could explain the similarity in style/cutting and the rolled edge as well.

Then again I may never figure it out, but it sure is fun trying. :)

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Kelli

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand