No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: piano insulators  (Read 10166 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
piano insulators
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:30:55 PM »
I know they are hardly exciting, but there was a reason for showing these, which was simply that........
I had always assumed that you put these under the castors of pianos or other heavy furniture, just to avoid making big dents in the carpet but....... I've just read the reason why they are called insulators, and it wasn't anything to do with with the carpets.   
Apparently the Victorians were obsessed with home entertainment, of which playing the piano was perhaps the most popular pastime.     These glass cups, were introduced to insulate/deaden/suppress the sound of the piano when played.      So, thanks to Raymond Notley's wonderful little booklet 'Popular Glass of the C19 and C20 Centuries', I'm now wiser.           Incidentally, this is a cracking good read (if you're into pressed glass)  -  full of facts and small enough to be read in the bath.
However, I suppose most GMB members already knew this.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: piano insulators
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 05:36:25 PM »
They are also to prevent marking. The furniture only ones tend to be smaller and almost impossible to find.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ian the sculptor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »
So that's what those things were for.........I've always wondered  .......

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »
Usually described as ash trays or salts. Interesting, we picked up a uranium one the other day (style as top right in Paul's pic) that has obviously been used for its intended purchase from the wear, BUT upside down!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 07:09:32 PM »
These were in common use until at least the 1960s.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 07:46:09 PM »
in my picture, the top left example is uranium, quite a nice yellowy-green colour.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »
Have you tested the top right ones?

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »
Did you see the Time Team excavation of Buck Mill (watermill) at Stoke Trister in Somerset?   Their finds expert (apparently brilliant at pottery fragments) described a broken blue or green piano insulator as an Art Deco ashtray!

As a child I remember ours, made of bakelite, had discs of carpet stuck to their bases, apparently so that they still worked on lino.

I've seen a kitchen or scullery where all the main wooden furniture (not the chairs) was on piano insulators to protect the legs from water when the tiled or stone floor was mopped clean.

... and you find all gazunders upside down, at least here in Britain.   I see both flower set plinths and piano insulators upside down regularly at fairs, antique centres, and car boots, several times a year.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 09:38:14 AM »
Nope, didn't see that Bernard but, as Lustrousstone suggests, would seem an ashtray was a not uncommon substitute use (I guess anything colourful and angular in design is 'deco' for some people).    They seem to span a long period of manufacture, although haven't a clue as to dating my examples, and although I guess mine are possibly all British, they were doubtless made everywhere (I bet at least one of these is from Sowerby  -  patterns are shown in both the Victorian and George V CDs from the Thistlewoods).   I had checked with u.v. originally, and it would seem there is indeed only one uranium example here.     However, the bottom right green example appears to have more than its fair share of manganese as you can see in picture three  -  and just for interest picture four shows how these particular colours appear to have been quite common to utility items.
Silber and Flemming quote colours of puce/amber/blue/canary/green and flint (perhaps their canary was uranium)  -  but if you want a reall exotic example then there is apparently one made in the shape of a Mammoth's foot, complete with hairy textured surface. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 09:48:50 AM »
I have picked up one or two nice black "bowls" but my favourite upside things are the two "stemmed bowls" you get with dressing table sets.  :o How stable are they!!

You can still buy plastic furniture castors.

Canary is almost certainly uranium and I would love an elephant's foot. The Americans and the Aussies are quite keen on piano insulators and will pay quite silly money for something a bit different even with the inevitable damage.

Here are mine, though I've only kept uranium examples. http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand