No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Registration No. 252274 - ID = Scotney & Earnshaw  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Glass Registration No. 252274 - ID = Scotney & Earnshaw
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 04:30:56 AM »
What a wonderful collaborative effort. A US manufactured piece with an English registration and the puzzles of many solved as well as a perfect example of reliance on even moulded marks for identification of origin.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 09:49:02 AM »
It's a marvellous thing that we have some very knowledgable people looking in here.          Just glad I was able to start the ball rolling, which then enabled a greater amount of information to be added.       Pedantic is not a problem - always better to be accurate rather than seem clever.

Bernard - I will look in detail at your watermark download later  -  seems just the ticket for images from TNA.         Apparently, they were worried that if I was entering too many high resolution images into the public domain, there might have been the risk of theft for commercial purposes.        As you probably know, in the ordinary course of events when National Archive images are used in a professional sense, payment is required, understandably.
You're right of course regarding the reason for 252274 being absent from the lists  - I forgot we had discussed previously that these items are missing simply because they are listed as Class 4, and not because the Registers are too heavy for lady authors to lift :)

As can be seen from the written details entered in the Register (my pic. No. 3) - two Nos. are shown on the one page as being registered on 1st April 1895 under the name of Scotney & Earnshaw.         Since I was concentrating on 252274, I didn't take a picture of 252275 - which from memory is a circular shallow dish/tray of sorts (in glass).    When I visit TNA next I'll take a photograph of that item  -  as this also will be missing from any lists.     From memory, I seem to recall that it had some colour in the drawing -possibly yellow staining, but I'm not sure.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 11:00:08 AM »
Paul et al — While a US manufacturer is most likely, Scotney & Earnshaw were just as capable as anyone of taking what looks like a US design and getting a mould made and the glass manufactured in Europe.   Also there is the possibility of their obtaining a US mould and having that used on this side of the pond.

It's worth keeping in mind the Fostoria American pattern cube sugar / preserve indisputably made by Davidson in jade and flint.   We still don't know whether it was made with a modified Fostoria mould or a completely new mould made by Davidson, as there is a very close match to the shape and size in Fostoria's range.

Bernard C.  8)

Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 09:47:19 PM »
Images with copyright watermark updated. :) Thanks to Paul and Bernard for getting this sorted between you. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 10:23:38 PM »
thanks to Bernard for posting the link which enabled me to create a professional watermark - it really is a simple process, and if someone as generally computer illiterate as me can produce a good result, it must be good.      I have used the highest contrast for the wording i.e. set to level 5 to produce maximum visual strength  -  and would appreciate comments from people as to whether it is considered to be excessive in relation to the image of the glass, or whether it stands out well and in fact doesn't overpower those parts we all really want to look at :)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 04:37:44 AM »
Paul — Your watermarking is fine apart from the watermark on the Register, the third image, where I think the watermarker intensity level of 5 is a little overpowering.   Nevertheless you can see all you need.   Please would you leave it unchanged so that others can see that you need to consider adjusting the watermarker intensity to suit the contrast of the underlying image.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand