No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Posy ring with prunts and RD number  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Posy ring with prunts and RD number
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 03:37:20 PM »
John — memory playing tricks on me.   At the time I said:

• All four glass items were hand made, blown using the same shape mould, attached to the pontil rod, then the top hand-worked to the individual shape required.

• If you zoom out on the little registration number image, you will see that the inside bottom corners are almost perfect 3-D right angles, indicative of a very high standard of production.   Like you, I can't see how they could have been pressed unless they were made like Chippendale bottles in two pieces and joined.   But there's no trace of that.   So I was probably right at the time.

Thanks for correcting me.

BTW some of the early Manchester cruet bottles were pressed, like the one illustrated on p.50 of Thompson.   What came out of the press was a tall vase shape, about twice the height of the height of the shoulders.   The neck and rim was hot worked from this extra glass.

Bernard C.  8)
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
      • Mdina
      • South Wales
    « Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 04:22:36 PM »
    made like Chippendale bottles in two pieces and joined
    That sounds like Incalmo. ;D

The more I learn, the less I realise I know....

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
    • Global Moderator
    • Members
    • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
      • Glass trinket sets
      • Cumbria England
      • My Glass Collection
    « Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 01:40:06 AM »
    Anne — Oh no it isn't.   Thompson includes all the class 3 registrations they found from 1842 to the end of February 1908, except that, for reasons of space, she edited out designs from 1884 onwards "not likely to be encountered in the study of household glass".   My experience is that most of the missing registrations seem to be bottles.   Surprisingly all the pavement light and insulator registrations we've found in that 1884–1908 period are in Thompson.

Bernard C.  8)

;D Bernard, I was referring to the fact that the Thompson book was about pressed glass, and therefore in a shorthand way indicating that it may not necessarily cover Paul's piece.

And aren't pavement lights and insulators made from pressed glass anyhow? If not, how please, as I'd assumed (I know, never assume!) that they would be. Apologies to Paul for slightly hijacking his topic. ;)
    Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
    ~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
     ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Bernard C

• Members
    • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
    « Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 04:07:45 AM »
    Anne — No No No.   Thompson suffers from the most misleading title of any glass book worldwide.   It's nothing to do with pressed glass.   It is fundamentally to do with registered designs, not the same thing at all.   What Thompson then did in the book and the supplement was to produce detailed editorial on glassworks with significant numbers of registered designs.   As the majority of registered designs were for pressed glass, most of her editorial discusses pressed glass and the big Manchester and northeastern glassworks producing it.   However the work includes factory summaries on Walsh, Richardson, Pargeter, Stuart, Boulton & Mills, and Thomas Webb, all with either very few pressed glass registrations or none at all.

Jenny Thompson did not use method of manufacture as her criterion for editing the 1884–1908 list, solely designs "not likely to be encountered in the study of household glass".   Hence my surprise at pavement lights and insulators being retained.   I think she kept any registration that looked interesting or unusual.

Bernard C.  8)   
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
      • Mdina
      • South Wales
    « Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »
    It is conceivable that pavement lights could be cast but I think much better optical properties would be achieved by pressing. The (deck) lights I have here certainly look pressed to me, no sign of subsequent grinding and polishing which I think would be desirable if they had been cast.

Some photos of them and some pavement lights here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30721.0.html

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand