No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another ID - pale green flared vase + vertical ribbing  (Read 924 times)

Offline bardonhill

• Members
Another ID - pale green flared vase + vertical ribbing
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
Hi Again,Another one, could you also ID this one,Ht4" x W4.5",it' a very pale green with vertical ribbing in the glass. :help:

Mod: subject amended to something more descriptive

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Another ID - pale green flared vase + vertical ribbing
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:43:15 PM »
It isn't guaranteed to help, but a good picture of the base, plus your thoughts on any evident wear (or not) might assist people to find an answer  -  your country of origin would also not go amiss.          Why it should be that requests for help should be accompanied by so much secrecy is beyond me :)   signed      Anon.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 02:08:22 AM »
Walsh Walsh I believe. I had a vase with similar groups of vertical ribs like this identified as Walsh by Bernard some time ago. See here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,8783.0.html

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:12:32 AM »
crimped/wavy rims were fairly common with Walsh, and this particular type of unequal flaring (almost suggestive of a jip shape) was a characteristic of theirs also.     Unfortunately, this exact piece doesn't seem to be in the Reynolds, unless I've missed it.       Would still like to see a picture of the underside, which presumably should show a snapped pontil assuming Steven is correct. :)

Offline bardonhill

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 01:51:05 PM »
Hi, Paul/Steven,Thanks for your prompt feedback,Paul you wanted to see a photo of the base,there is no broken pontil as you can see,
it's just a flat polished base.sorry about the lack of ID,put it right now.Graham.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 02:41:08 PM »
I don't think the base is polished, just flattened on the marver

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
Hello Graham and welcome to the GMB :)      Hope you don't think I was being a little tetchy, and thanks for adding location details and base pictures.     I was expecting to see either a slightly rough broken pontil, or a ground/polished dip where the rough mark had been.    However, if you say that the base is flat entirely then that suggests my thoughts were wrong.       I'm less then au fait with the process of dip moulding - which I believe uses a one piece mould to create the shape, and although the flaring may be created manually, I really don't know.   Is the base attached via a pontil rod, afterwards, anyone??

Offline bardonhill

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »
Hi Paul, Thanks for your input, :hiclp:,It look's like were at a full stop now,If you any second thoughts would you let me know.Graham.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand